41. The One With A New Lover

To say Parker almost had a heart attack when I turned up with a bloody Lily would be an understatement - his heart literally skipped a beat in shock but he let us in anyway. I let Carlisle in moments later to stitch Lily up before I politely kicked him out, mad at them all still. Once I was sure Lily and Lorenzo were both okay sleeping down the hall in Parker's spare room, I finally sat down with him and told him everything. All of it.

"So I'm better looking than them, minus the vampire shit." He says teasingly.

I smile small. "Oh of course you are my love... You aren't freaked out?"

He shakes his head and sips his wine, taking my hand in his free one. "You've always done weird, Bailey, I can handle your weird. I just never thought you'd want a life like this, on the run."

"It's not like it was planned. I never knew this gift would be what I go, I knew Aro was an ass but I didn't realise just how far he'd go... I thought Alice and I would be happy and free but here we are." I shrug and sigh, running a hand through my hair.

"You'll get there. We always said someone's made your life difficult, this is them meddling." He teases and squeezes my hand. "Jesus why're you so cold!?"

I giggle. "Part of who I am now boo. Enough of me, tell me about you." I lean my head on my palm, my elbow on the back of the couch.

He blushes. "Oh you don't wanna know..."

"Um, yes, yes I do. Spill."

He blushes and smiles. "I met someone... He's so amazing."

I grin. "Who!?"

"His names Anders, he's from Amsterdam. We tried the long distance thing for a while but he moved over here a few years back - he's visiting family at the moment." He glows as he talks about Anders.

I smile wide. "I'm so happy for you. No babies then?"

"God no. I almost adopted with an ex of mine, good job we didn't coz he was a jerk. Then there was a few guys we talked about it but were never serious enough. Anders and I are going in 5 years together, but I'm too scared to broach the subject."

"I was with Alice." I muse. "Obviously the situations a lot different, but the same thing applies. How serious were we, was it what she wanted, did it even make sense for us to, how would those kids feel with gay parents..." I sigh at the memories of the dozens of discussions we had. "She actually surprised me. On our wedding day, she broke into my room while Rose wasn't looking and made this beautiful speech. I knew she was being honest. You gotta have that discussion, P, because you don't want him or yourself ever regretting it. Trust me, having a child is the best gift of all."

He smiles. "You never cease to defy every expectation. To be honest, no one, including me, thought you'd be a mom and enjoy it. We all thought it wasn't your thing but... You were made for it. I can see that now. Lily and Lorenzo are meant to be your children and they're so lucky to have you. "

I smile and bite my lip. "I've missed you so much... Mostly because you boost my ego."

He laughs and hugs me; I hold him close, never wanting to let go. A little voice reminds me he's human, of course one day he'll be gone, but for the time being I have him back. A small piece of my family and my old life that I get to keep. And that's enough to keep me going.

-

I help Lily take a bath, washing her hair carefully for her. "I know you probably don't want to think about it but... Did Jane say anything?" I ask in a soft voice.

Lily hugs her knees to her chest, staring at the taps ahead of her. "It was a warning." She whispers. "A reminder of what they can do... That they're in control."