47. The Witch Of The South

I sit reading the diary for the 100th time as Edward drives, heading to New Orleans to find the first person on Alice's list. "This Wei - who is she?"

"Well, if you can believe it, she's a witch."

"Like, Wizard of Oz witch? Or Hocus Pocus witch?" I raise an eyebrow. "I mean if we're real and those mutts are then witches can be too."

He laughs. "No, witches aren't as they are portrayed in the media, however they were hunted to near existinct by Aro once upon a time - he saw them as a threat. Wei is the most powerful witch known to this planet, legend goes she was born in China over 1000 years ago. While her form changes, her name and age always stays the same. She shifts bodies. Her power is what has kept her hidden from Aro and his guard and I'm surprised Alice had the skill to find her. No one has heard from Wei in just over 800 years. She's a myth to most."

"Could she help us?" I look at him as I watch him deliberate, his head shaking a little as he thinks.

"I think if anyone can, then it's her." He says, somewhat confident.

"How do we find her? Alice just says she knew she was around this area, not where to find her this could take days Edward, we don't-"

He rolls his eyes. "Jesus Christ, Bailey, I know I know. We just got here, let's park up, wander round and then figure it out."

I glare at him and cross my arms, glaring at the street ahead. We enter the city to find the streets bustling, despite the dreary January rain; I look around at the various stores, lots of bars and many witch craft stores selling incense and crystals. I unbuckle as Edward parks up and climb out, looking around. "Do we ask around?"

"No way. She'd never trust us if word got around that someone was looking for her. Just... Be casual." He shrugs as he puts his hood up.

I sigh and do the same, hating his all around 'chilled' attitude at this. We head onto the busy sidewalk and I scan the streets as we walk, keeping close to Edward; I can tell by the look on his face that he's concentrating on people thoughts, trying to make sense of the madness that happens when he tunes in.

We stop at a set of lights and I look around, spotting an Asian woman across the street. She looks young, maybe in her early 20s - about the age I was when changed. Our eyes meet as her long black hair blows in the wind, covering her face slightly. Edward keeps walking, not noticing her, and I find myself walking in the opposite direction of him, towards the woman who I'm so drawn to. She begins walking and I watch her back, keeping a few feet away as she walks; eventually she turns into an old antique store, the small bell chiming as she does. I quickly follow and freeze as the door closes behind me.

She stands waiting for me, the building not a store but a warehouse. Somehow we're no longer in the busy highstreet store, we're by the docks, seagulls scwarcking and boats horns blaring.

I stare into her white eyes. "Wei..."

"Who are you, demon?" she says in a cold voice, an English accent prominent.

"I'm Bailey Cullen. You maybe know my wife, Alice." I say as I keep watching her.

She slips her hands in her pockets, her eyes narrowing a little. "I know an Alice Brandon..."

"That was her human name. Mary Alice." I say, my heart metaphorically hurting to mention her. "I need your help - she led me to you for some reason and I don't know why." I say as I hold up the diary.

Wei licks her lips and tilts her head. "She did ask for a favour, yes... More like we could help each other."

"How so?"