49. The Face Of Pain

I look around the circle of friends, family and strangers who have come out to face the Volturi once and for all. "Thank you all - from the bottom of my heart. We all have a reason for being here, we all have a reason to fight; I know many of you have faced these assholes before but this time? This is the end. This is the end of them once and for all. We will live freely. We will respond as we wish. We will fight for our families."

I glance at mine - my dear family... "To my dear family. Thank you guys for being here, for taking me in and showing me strength. If you hadn't then we wouldn't be here. Together we can all form a new government, a new judge, jury and executioner. There is one man I think we can all agree will be the best at this... Carlisle."

Carlisle's eyes widen a little and he shakes his head slowly as everyone nods in agreement. "No.. I could never harm another."

"We're not asking you to - we are asking you to be an example to all." Edward says. "Show us all how to live responsibly and compassionately."

"I don't know..." Carlisle says slowly.

I look at him with sad eyes. "Do what you feel is best. But think about the world you want your grandchildren to grow up in. Think of the world you hated when Aro ruled and at least make sure it doesn't go back to that."

He nods once and hangs his head as he thinks. I take a deep breath and look at Amadeus and Wei, both stood to my right. "You know the plan?" They both nod. I look back to everyone. "Right... Its time."

Everyone begins to prepare as Esme comes over and holds me in a tight embrace for several silent minutes. I hold her to me and close my eyes, knowing very well this could be my last hug from her, the last time I see her. I kiss her cheek.  "Thank you for showing me how to be a mom, how to love again. There'd be no Alice and I to fight for it you hadn't of intervened when I was sick or helped me see who I was. Lillian and Lorenzo would just be kids in the system and we wouldn't have helped all those children we fostered. They all have a better life because of you, and the family, for having faith in us."

Esme strokes my cheek. "You did that all yourself Bailey. You made it this far because you wanted to, you had reason to. Remember that - you know it, but you need to remember it. Be strong and be bold." She whispers kissing my head.

I force a smile and squeeze her hand as she goes to Carlisle again. I make my way around the group, squeezing Zafrina on the shoulder as I pass, then Kate and Benjamin's. I get a smile of reassurance from them all and it comforts me a little. But nothing can prepare any of us for what we're about to walk head first into. Nothing.

- 3rd person POV -

Slowly, slower than a human walk, they begin to make their way to the clearing. The same clearing they faced the Volturi all those years ago. Jane stands to Bailey's left, Wei to her right and her family behind them. Behind them are such beings as Benjamin, Zafrina, Kate, Eleazar. Those with abilities that can spring in to action when needed. Then comes everyone else, plus the wolves.

And then they come.

They begin their slow, ominous walked about five miles ahead of them, all in black, all hoods up. The rain is no bother to their kind but the hoods are for intimidating the opponant - not that it works. Bailey's eyes scan the lines and she sees her; my Alice. She stands behind Caius and Marcus, beside Alec. Her eyes are red, cold, no feeling behind them...

 Her eyes are red, cold, no feeling behind them