Chapter One

Car tires screeched as the driver peeled out of the parking lot, and a wind from the close proximity forced Terra to jump to the side and make way

Car tires screeched as the driver peeled out of the parking lot, and a wind from the close proximity forced Terra to jump to the side and make way. She scoffed at the rowdy seniors and forced her way through the throngs of people as she left the school. Her bag weighed extra with schoolwork and the sun was beginning to grow warm overhead as she made her way back through town. The main plaza was bustling with people as they got off work and the younger children began to leave school for the day as well.

She eyed a group from her school and met the gaze of one of the boys. Before he could say a word, and she doubted he would, his attention was pulled back into conversation by the girl at his side. Terra slipped past with a light shake of her head and crossed into her neighborhood. The sidewalk grew littered with cracks and stray weeds, the houses more decrepit the further she went.

Terra started up her driveway, frowned at the absence of a truck parked there, and moved into the dark house. It was just as dark as she'd left it, with no signs that anyone else had been inside. Relaxing considerably, she moved into the kitchen and started heating up soup before she went upstairs. Terra dropped her bag on the bed and sorted through the schoolwork she'd been given for the day. With an annoyed groan, she flipped on her radio and marched back downstairs to collect her dinner.

With her homework abandoned, she sat sketching the view from her window. In the moonlight, it looked haunting, like the old neighborhood that had been taken by a fire a number of years ago. Her street still had the whisper of life though, with a few flickering streetlights and a couple of yellow glows from houses. Terra sat with her charcoal as she worked and almost missed the sound of the truck pulling into her driveway. With a start, she cleaned up the supplies, shoving her work in progress under her bed, careful not to smudge anything. She replaced it all with math papers just as the front door slammed and heavy boots made their way up the stairs.

Even though she knew it was coming, Terra jumped at the knock on her door. "I'm busy!" she called.

The door opened in the next moment and she spun around with a scowl. The lock had been broken for years. "You didn't clean up," her father said.

"It wasn't my mess."

He matched her expression and his gaze swept around her room. "Come here," he ordered.

"I'm doing homework," Terra retorted and spun back around to her desk. His boots sounded against the wood of her floor, and he yanked her up by the arm. He was still strong, even if he wasn't particularly muscular, but the gray peppering his hair showed his growing age. They had the same face, with defined cheekbones and a straight nose. It was far from hideous, but she wished they weren't his as well.

Her father glanced down at her hand and lifted it up, her palm lined with black. "Where did you get that?" he asked his face going pale.

"I bought it," she lied smoothly.

"With what money?" He dropped his hold on her and started going through her drawers. "You took it, didn't you?"

Terra stood protectively in front of her bed and crossed her arms. "So what if I did? It's not like her supplies was going to any use."