Chapter Sixty-Six

The halls of the Compound were already becoming more festive with wreaths on doors and snowflakes pasted on the walls

The halls of the Compound were already becoming more festive with wreaths on doors and snowflakes pasted on the walls. Especially as they drew closer to the classroom, there were more mostly done by children. An open door was filled with kids laughing down the hall and faint Christmas music as well.

"I was going to make cookies," Jessie was saying as she walked by Terra. The Alpha stood close to Wren, but the boy held Lynea's hand. "Do you think I could give some out?" At that question she looked to the Hunter with them.

"To the kids?" Trench asked and flashed the girl a grin. "I bet they'd love that." His gaze found Lynea next and his grin faded at how stiffly she still walked, surveying the Compound. "I promise our kids won't be any more trouble than yours would," he added but Lynea only scowled at him.

"Can I come too?" Wren pitched in to Jessie. "When you give out the cookies?"

"Of course," Jessie said with a cheerful smile.

"As long as you share with the rest of us," Terra told her pointedly. The Alpha, though, also found her gaze drawn back to Lynea and she ruffled Wren's hair. "Ready?" she asked as they approached the classroom.

Wren grinned widely and glanced up to Lynea just as Trench pushed the door further open. He pressed forward and peered into the classroom. None of the laughing children seemed to notice them, but Olivia immediately stood. "There you are," she said with a warm smile. She swiped at a bit of frosting on her cheek and waved them in. "We were wondering when you'd come around."

"Oh, we were very excited to come," Terra replied with a smile. She stepped in and offered her hand to her. "You must be Olivia."

The teacher nodded and openly took the Alpha's hand. "And this is Terra," Trench provided then motioned to Lynea next. "And Wren's mother of course."

Olivia disengaged from Terra and did a little bow of her head to Lynea. "I'm so glad you allowed him to come today. Many of the kids were really looking forward to it."

Lynea didn't return the expression but acknowledged the Hunter. "Yes, well I didn't have much of a choice when he declared he wanted to."

Terra glanced at Jessie and the Healer offered her hand to Wren. "Come on, Wren," she said with a smile. "Why don't we see what station needs the most help?"

"Okay!" Wren released Lynea's hand, but not before giving her a swift hug, and took up Jessie's instead. The older wolf simply looked after them, a clear uncertainty in her eyes.

Once they were gone, Terra looked between Olivia and Lynea, but kept her smile. "I think we're all still a bit tense around each other. I think it's good for Wren to spend time with kids his age, though."

"So long as he's happy," Lynea said. She watched after him even when he joined a table and sat beside a girl, easily joining in with a gingerbread house they were building.