Chapter Seventeen

Terra sat on the edge of her bed as Jessie checked her over, her entire body sore from shifting again without the moon

Terra sat on the edge of her bed as Jessie checked her over, her entire body sore from shifting again without the moon. Her hair was messy and she had bruises around her entire body. Her left hand was bruised badly, causing her to wince whenever she moved her fingers. "I'm just curious how you did it," Jessie finally muttered.

"I don't know, it just happened," Terra said with a shrug. "He pissed me off and I reacted." Jessie just scowled in response and went back to cleaning the claw marks in her shoulders almost methodically.

"It's still unusual." Jrasic appeared in Terra's doorway with Charles hovering somewhere behind him. "Shifting on raw emotion happens, but not with someone so recently bitten. Especially just after surviving the first moon."

"Oh good, the cavalry's here," Terra muttered as Jrasic entered. Jessie stepped back and reached for Terra's bruised hand, though Terra pulled back with a small hiss.

Jessie pushed up and started to pack away her supplies. "Well, you'll be bruised for awhile, but it's nothing severe." She turned to the doorway as Charles stepped in, hovering uncomfortably against the wall.

Terra huffed and, with her good hand, picked out stray twigs from her hair. "Wow, I'm glad I'm special enough to get this kind of attention."

"You wouldn't have to have people fussing over you if you hadn't challenged one of the most dangerous wolves here," Jrasic snapped.

Terra's smirk fell into a scowl and she stood quickly, causing the bed to jostle and some of Jessie's supplies to fall. The other girl scrambled to pick them back up with a sigh, not giving Terra time to help. "I wouldn't have had to if he hadn't been doing serious harm to the others out there! Your friend could have killed them."

"Jrasic is right, Terra," Jessie said as she finished and stood. "Someone else could have handled that. Aaron could have seriously hurt you."

"Aaron's not a wolf to play around with," Jrasic muttered. "Regardless of your intentions. Aaron knows his place here and wouldn't dare harm one of Sonya's wolves. It would mean breaking his pact with her, and right now that's too valuable for him. You fought an unnecessary battle and it could have turned out much worse."

"It certainly looked like he was harming them to me." Terra looked between Jrasic and Jessie with a scowl. "Too much of that goes on here anyways, with both Aaron and Sonya."

Jessie sighed and pulled her hair free of the ponytail as she had finished her work. "You can't do anything about that, Terra. If you do, you'll just get hurt again. Please, stay out of their way."

"Making enemies with the wrong wolves will get you killed." Jrasic crossed his arms, keeping a firm gaze on Terra. "You don't need to deal with them or make friends with them. Just, don't taunt them."

"This is only going to get worse, Jrasic! Do you want more proof, then look at the scars on my back!" Terra turned to Jessie then, but her fury began to die. "Did you see them? What she did just because I wouldn't be perfectly obedient?"

Jessie closed her eyes and stepped away from Terra and towards the door. "Terra, please just...step back. I don't want you getting hurt."

Jrasic came forward to stand somewhat between the two girls. "I let Sonya get too close to you, alright? But you don't need to throw yourself at them. To them, you're almost begging for it to happen to you again."

Jessie went to agree, but her brother's hand came down on her shoulder. "Jessie, perhaps we should go get something to eat?" Her eyes flickered between Jrasic and Terra and her shoulders dropped in defeat.

"Let me know if you need anything," Jessie murmured and turned out the door with her brother.

Terra watched the door until it shut and the twins' footsteps faded away. "It doesn't matter what you did, it matters what she did and what she does!" Terra paced the room, rubbing at her bruised hand absently, though she winced whenever she pressed too hard. "I've seen what Aaron can do. With him and Sonya working together..."

"You haven't seen even half of what Aaron can do," Jrasic said. He wasn't looking at her, gaze casted aside toward her window. He had backed up a few paces to her door, looking like a trapped animal, confined in her room.

"Right," Terra said harshly and stomped towards him. "I forgot how close you two were. What was it he called you...'brother'?" When she reached him, Terra closed her eyes and let out a slow breath. She raised her hands up as though surrendering, the ugly purple bruise showing around the side of her hand, wrapping about halfway around the front and back. "You know what? Never mind."

"It's not something you can just push away, Terra." This time when Jrasic spoke, his voice was much softer, calmer. "I won't deny knowing Aaron well, or how close he and I may have been at one time." Jrasic lifted his gaze to her for just a moment. "I've brought you into all this but at least when it comes to him...just..." He let his words drift off with an irritated sigh. He pressed his back against her door, pressing his fingers to his temple.

Terra pressed into the wall beside him. "For now, I will try to stay away from him and Sonya." She put her head back and looked up at him, her voice softening as well. "I just...hate it."

"I'm sorry." Jrasic let his hand drop to the side, tipping his head to her. "For bringing you to this pack. Of all places we could have gone."

She gave a slow nod. "There's nothing we can do about it." Terra scowled then and glanced away. "At least you didn't apologize for making me this." Her voice was quieter and she leaned to the side, away from him.

Jrasic reached out for her and lightly trailed his fingers from her elbow to her wrist, hardly touching her. "Of all things, you said it made you feel free. If you've found such freedom and joy in at least being a wolf, then who am I to wish I could take that away from you."

Terra moved her hand up and laced her fingers with his. "It does. More freedom than I could have gotten in my old life." She raised her injured hand and glared at it, clenching and unclenching her fist.

Jrasic swiveled around so that he was facing her, a shoulder pressed against the wall. He placed his free hand over her fist, cautious of her wounds. He didn't say anything and just looked down at their entwined fingers.

Terra moved her hand from under his and grabbed his shirt, pulled him down, and kissed him hard. His arms came around her and he kissed her in return. Jrasic held her close to him, giving into her warmth and touch, content to stay there for hours.

 Jrasic held her close to him, giving into her warmth and touch, content to stay there for hours

Hello! Thank you for reading chapter 17~ We honestly hope you're enjoying Moonlit so far. We appreciate all the feed back we've received and can't thank you all enough for your continued support. 

We love hearing from you, so don't be afraid to drop a comment on your favorite chapter or on the most recent one! Or hey, even all of them! Well, let us know what you like or what you think we could be doing better.

Like our minor and background characters. Does any of them stick out to you the most? Let us know in the comment section!

As always, thank you for reading and we'll see you in the next update.

-Samantha and Runaja