Chapter Fifty-Four

The vase clinked against the sink as Terra washed it out, the decayed flowers disposed of before the majority of her pack woke

The vase clinked against the sink as Terra washed it out, the decayed flowers disposed of before the majority of her pack woke. She accepted a cup of coffee from Jessie after drying her hands and leaned against the counter with her friend to stare out at the yard. Paw prints from the night before were mostly covered by fresh snow, though a few still remained. Terra smiled as she sipped from her coffee and placed it on the counter.

"I hope everyone dried off last night," Jessie commented with a yawn. "We don't need anymore sick wolves in here."

"I'm sure they did," Terra replied. She stretched her arms above her head and winced at the popping in her back.

"Up already?" Jrasic said as a greeting. He came into the kitchen in a hoodie and sweatpants, rubbing a hand to his face as if he could swipe the exhaustion away.

Terra offered a tired smile and went to pour him coffee. "You were so peaceful, I didn't want to wake you." She laughed at her own words and handed the mug out to him.

"Oh," Jessie said with a small stretch of her own, "Jake's back from his run."

Terra's gaze turned out the window to watch the golden wolf dart towards them through the snow. A wave of panic hit her and her eyes widened. "Something's wrong," she murmured. Terra hurried to the door and threw it open, just as Jake reached them.

Jrasic set his mug back onto the counter as he turned to Jake as well. He didn't say a word though spared a glance to the trees beyond.

Jake snarled and sent a look up to Terra. With understanding, the Alpha turned to her healer. "Go upstairs," Terra ordered. "Send anyone who can defend us down here, and pack anything necessary to take with us. Hurry."

Without a moment's hesitation, Jessie darted back through the cabin and Terra turned to Jrasic.

"This can't be Sonya," Jrasic muttered and met Terra's gaze. "She wouldn't break an Alpha fight pact. But Aaron..."

"It's a loophole," Terra growled. She looked back to the woods and ran a hand through her hair. "Dominic left for the full moon. He's supposed to be back by now, but..."

Jake simply shook his head and let out a sharp bark into the cabin before, he began to back up towards the door, and footsteps hurried back down the stairs. Jrasic made to speak, but paused when he looked out to the trees again. He cursed to himself and moved around Jake and through the door.

Outside, a single figure stood before the treeline, facing the cabin. He stood with such ease, hands in his sweater pockets. Even from the distance, Jrasic could tell he wore a casual smile across his face.

"Jrasic," Terra murmured and stepped to go after him, but Charles's hand caught her arm.

"Is it an attack?" he asked her. Charles's gaze followed hers out and he let go, his question answered.