Chapter Forty

Just as he promised, Aaron stood waiting just off the path where they last met

Just as he promised, Aaron stood waiting just off the path where they last met. It was dark thanks to the heavy cloud cover that came as the moon rose, yet he still scanned the forest and open path, silent and simply waiting.

Brit moved through the brush with careful steps, though still made a good deal of noise. She paused when she spotted Aaron and leaned her shoulder against a tree, bare of any of her things.

A frown crossed his lips as he looked her over and he took a step closer. "What is this?" he muttered and motioned to her with a sweep of his hand. "Did you decide to just leave it all behind?"

"No," she said softly. "I just...I need more time." Brit tugged at her dark hair and sighed. "I don't know who I can trust quite yet, Aaron. Do you understand?"

"So you're just going to stay with them?" Aaron said and moved closer still. "The longer you stay with them, the easier it'll be for them to force you to say."

"You have a point, but so do they." Brit stayed to the tree and stood her ground. "Some of what you said doesn't add up, Aaron."

"And they make complete sense?" His hand clenched at his side as he approached her still. "This is more complicated than you understand."

"Nothing makes sense!" she shot back, her voice rising just a bit. "But I must figure it out myself before I go blindly forward. He knew what you said to me. He knew you offered to teach me despite...despite what happened."

Aaron paused, head tipping to the side just slightly. "Who? What do you mean?"

"I don't know," Brit said with a sigh. "He was just...different."

"Who was he?" Aaron demanded and came up right before her, a growl forming his lips. "This is important, Brit. What did he look like? Did he tell you who he was? Why was he with the pack?"

Brit pressed into the rough bark and shook her head. "He-he was blond and tall. Different from the rest of them, I think they said his name was Dominic." She paused and pressed her lips together. "He knew me," Brit added.

Aaron snarled and whisked away, running his fingers through his hair and holding on. "You have to leave, Brit," he said in a weak whisper. His voice trembled as he spoke and his body shook. "If he's there...it's not safe. If... if h-he's-" Aaron suddenly lashed out a hand and slammed it against a tree, nails growing into claws and burying into the bark. "Damn it, Jrasic!" he growled and hit the tree again. "What the hell are you thinking?"

Brit scrambled back instantly at the sight of his claws and moved further into the woods. "What do you mean?" she asked with a tremble in her voice. "Of all of them he was..." she stopped unsure of what she meant to say.

He groaned softly and clutched the tree with both hands, claws shrinking away once more. Aaron pressed his forehead against the wood and closed his eyes. "Did this man only just show up yesterday?" he said, voice somehow calmed.