Chapter Thirty-Six

There had been no further trace of Aaron or the Hunters, but Jrasic still watched the dripping forest, flashing with lightning, as if either danger would step from the trees

There had been no further trace of Aaron or the Hunters, but Jrasic still watched the dripping forest, flashing with lightning, as if either danger would step from the trees. He swapped out his rain-soaked shirt for a dry one, pausing when Terra sneezed behind him. He glanced to her with a frown and threw his wet shirt to the dresser's legs. "Are you sure you want to do this today?"

Terra sniffled and and clutched tighter at the pillow she held to her chest. "If she asks questions, I won't have Jessie lie to her," she said. "It needs to be done." Terra pushed at her hair then and closed her eyes.

"But you don't have to be the one to do it." Jrasic sat beside her, keeping to the edge of the bed. "Jake can easily handle this."

Terra shook her head slowly. "I'm the one she has to trust. I'm the Alpha." She forced another sneeze away and moved to lean against him. He kissed the top of her head and snaked an arm around her.

"I guess not even Alphas can fend off colds, though."

"I am not sick," she protested. Terra curled to his warmth, abandoning her pillow for him.

"Not at all," Jrasic said and shifted to let her lean against him fully. "But even if you were, it's okay to take a day."

Terra gave him a sheepish smile and let herself relax against him.

The door beside their room opened and a moment later there was a small knock. "Terra," Jessie called softly, "she's awake." Jrasic glanced down at her though made no effort to move. He rose his brow at her in silent question.

Terra pulled back and stood. "Will you help?"

"Of course," he said and stood after her.

Terra went out the door and followed Jessie back into the girl's room. When Jrasic entered she let the door close.

Jessie left to the side of the bed, where the newly turned girl sat watching each of them with close scrutiny.

"Hello Brittany," Terra greeted slowly. "Glad to see you're up."

"Brit, and so am I," she replied with a distinct accent.

Jrasic hung back a little from Terra. He watched the girl from where he leaned against the wall, looking her over. "How do you feel?"

"Brilliant," she replied with a frown. "Why am I not in a hospital?" She looked to Jessie. "No offense."

"Do you remember the attack?" Terra asked instead.

Brit lifted her shoulders and winced. "It was an animal attack."

"What happened that night?" Jrasic asked, crossing his arms.

She watched him and rubbed her arms with a frown. "I was walking home and attacked by a wolf. Sorry, why am I here?"

"This is the best place for your situation," Terra answered slowly.