Chapter Twenty-Nine

Jrasic had just shifted back, tightening the belt that bound his jeans, when he caught the scents coming closer

Jrasic had just shifted back, tightening the belt that bound his jeans, when he caught the scents coming closer. He caught the old familiar scents of Sonya's manor first before Terra's and ignored whatever else came with it. A snarl forming, his bones threatening to shift back, Jrasic near jumped off the front deck and followed the scent.

Terra stepped quickly ahead of Erica when she heard him coming and put a hand out to him. "It's us, Jrasic!" she called. "It's just us."

Jrasic paused, though didn't stand down, his gaze snapping to Erica, her fearful eyes wide. "Were you followed?"

"No," Jake said with easy confidence. "I'm sure we weren't."

Terra looked back to Erica and nodded her to follow. "We can have Jessie clean you up."

"I'm fine," Erica whispered and kept her gaze downward. Jrasic resisted a growl and moved back to the cabin, Wren quickly following after. He dashed inside the moment Jrasic opened the door, calling for the healer.

Terra put a hand on Jrasic's arm when she passed and turned to Erica. "Just sit, for now, if you would."

"S-sure..." Erica slowly moved from Terra's side but paused when Wren came up to her instead. He didn't say a word but offered a hand out to her. She considered the offer a moment before timidly tucking her hand into his and he smiled widely, leading her off to the couches. Jessie was down in a moment, cleaning and checking her wounds.

Jrasic was left at Terra's side, watching after the enemy wolf. "What happened?"

Terra stepped close to him and tore her eyes away slowly. "Wren sensed her when we were out. She said they were looking for us, and Sonya killed anyone who tried to escape, but she made it. I don't think her sire did."

"And you believed her?" Jrasic muttered. "It's not past Aaron or Sonya to inflict wounds on their own spies to make them more believable."

"I know," Terra said instantly. "Trust me, Jake felt the same way, but if I wasn't sure, I wouldn't have brought her here."

Jrasic pressed his lips together. "So she wants to join your pack."

"It seems that way," Terra said. She watched Erica with Wren, Jessie having stepped away, and put a hand on Jrasic's arm. "I'm right about this."

Jrasic finally looked to her, his troubled expression relaxing only slightly. "Lynea and I can head out for the groceries," he said. "It would be best if you stayed for her."

Terra frowned in thought a moment. "Have Charles go. I'd rather you or Lynea stay here."

Gaze catching Erica again, Jrasic said, "I'll stay then." He moved from Terra's side and toward the kitchen, following after Lynea's scent.

Terra went to Erica and sat across from her, her arms on her knees. "You should get some rest."

"I'm fine," Erica whispered without looking at her.

"Still," Terra murmured. She looked around the sitting room and let out a slow breath. "How many wolves are unwilling to fight for her that remain?"

Erica shook her head and curled her arms back around herself. "I don't know. There were at least nine of us who tried to get away. I don't know who else survived."

Terra nodded slowly. "Hopefully there are more that would back down. Especially if they aren't vocal about it now."

"I'm...not sure if there will be more to run," Erica said. "Especially...e-especially after..."

"No," Terra murmured. "You'll be safe here, though. For the moment at least." She sat back and pushed a hand through her hair with a sigh.

Erica fell quiet and tugged her legs up to wrap her arms around them.

Terra cleared her throat and glanced away. "There are open rooms upstairs. Let me know if you need anything." She watched Erica for a long moment, but when the girl didn't reply, Terra turned and left her with Wren.

A bit of a shorter chapter this week, but we're getting ready for a lot more to come! We update two chapters every other day, did you read Chapter 29 yet? If not, make sure you do

A bit of a shorter chapter this week, but we're getting ready for a lot more to come! We update two chapters every other day, did you read Chapter 29 yet? If not, make sure you do. We wouldn't want you to be confused.

Any first thoughts on Erica? Let us know!

Thanks for reading!

-Samantha and Runaja