Chapter Sixty-Eight

Even with his suggestion, the wolves stayed close together, only Wren seeming comfortable enough to keep more with the kids than the older wolves

Even with his suggestion, the wolves stayed close together, only Wren seeming comfortable enough to keep more with the kids than the older wolves. As night fully came, a grand holiday dinner was brought out by several Hunters. It was a wide array of dishes that seemed more prepared by the individual than in the Compound's cafeteria.

No one went to the several tables just yet aside those who volunteered to help set it up and bring the food out. Dominic and Trench were among them, though Olivia kept to Lynea if not to at least hold the wolf's company.

A few of the Hunters went towards the food when they had finished, though the wolves waited until after the larger throng had passed. Terra gave a small nod to Jake and he tugged at Erica's hand towards the food. Jessie and Charles followed them to urge the rest of the pack forward as well. Terra, though, hung back from the rest.

"I can assure you the food has not been poisoned." Cian came up to her side, watching both their people. "In case that was what's keeping you away."

Terra turned slightly to him, but kept most of her attention on her pack. "No, I just figured I would wait until everyone else got their food."

Cian nodded only once and sipped from the glass of wine he held. "Then what keeps you apart?" he asked next.

Terra hesitated as she thought through her answer and said, "I suppose there's just a lot on my mind." She turned fully to him and tipped her head. "What brings you to me?"

"There is much to consider since allowing your pack here," Cian said. There was clearly more but he just sipped at his wine again.

"I wouldn't be opposed to a longer...relationship between us." Terra pushed her thumbs into her pockets and asked, "What did you have in mind?"

Cian dropped his gaze to his wine as he gently swirled it. "I know there is still hostility between our people, but my hope is that will soon change." He paused a moment too long but promptly spoke again before Terra could. "Your pack is quite small, isn't it? Compared to what we face."

"Yes, very much so," Terra admitted. "But my pack will not turn anyone, as I'm sure you understand."

"We would have a problem if that was your intent," Cian said and finally looked to her.

Terra managed a small smile and nodded. "I assume you have a proposition, then, at least."

He hummed in thought and returned to his wine. "Did you want to be Alpha?"

With a frown, she looked out to her pack. She watched Jessie laugh with the others and Jake tipped his head at her, her Beta listening but keeping his distance. "I wanted to make a change," she said. "This was the best way to do that."

"But is this what you wanted?" Cian asked again. "To be a leader. To hold lives in your hands. Even when there is no war to fight. These people are your friends, so of course they will follow you. But others? What happens to those you free from our enemy packs?"