Chapter Twenty-Three

"Exploding eggs," Jrasic said with a dramatic eye roll

"Exploding eggs," Jrasic said with a dramatic eye roll. "I'll never trust unnaturally colored eggs again."

Terra laughed as they walked through the Manor, one hand in her pocket and the other clasping his. "At least they weren't green. Definitely not a good combination."

"But apparently blue's not any better." Jrasic feigned a shiver and lightly squeezed her hand. "Maybe that's why I stick to apples now. Apples are safe, no matter their color."

As they neared the main part of the Manor, a loud voice rose up. "You can't push a wolf until they collapse, bleeding and exhausted!" Jessie scolded. "It isn't right and it certainly isn't safe."

When Jessie finally came into view, Terra let out a small sigh at the sight of Aaron. "Oh good," she whispered, squeezing Jrasic's hand tighter.

"A real wolf can shift regardless their condition," Aaron said casually. He wore a smug look, arms crossed over his chest. "As my wolves, they have to learn to deal with pain." He lashed out at Jessie, fingers closing tightly around her wrist. "I'll teach each and every one of them. Maybe starting with you instead."

"These wolves will never be yours," Jrasic said, gaze trained on Aaron. "That may be what you turned the assassin wolves into, but you won't corrupt these ones."

Aaron turned on Jrasic, releasing Jessie. "Corrupt? And you would know all about the corruption of wolves wouldn't you, brother?" A smirk slithered across his face.

Jessie rubbed at her wrist and took quick steps away, her back pressed against the wall. She gave a small jump when someone else moved near her. The woman moved behind Aaron, her fingertips tracing across his shoulder.

"They seem almost soft to me, these wolves." Her gaze went to Terra, and then to Jessie. "Maybe they just need a push in the right direction."

Terra stepped forward with a small growl, but otherwise didn't speak. The woman laughed, but it was a harsh sound.

Jrasic tightened his grip on Terra's hand and brought her back to his side. "I won't let you turn these wolves into killers too," Jrasic said.

"You won't 'let' me?" Aaron snorted. "When have you ever held me back from doing anything I wanted?" A sudden softness clouded his eyes. "When have I ever stopped you?" The fire returned when he turned back on Jessie and snatched her arm, ripping her away from the wall. "You've been demoted from Beta, Jrasic. Haven't you heard, these are my wolves now."

Jessie gave a small squeak, her scolding demeanor having faded entirely. The other wolf let her hand rest on Aaron's shoulder as she eyed Jessie. "Shouldn't every wolf, no matter their role, know how to deal with pain?"

"Don't touch her," Terra snapped.

With another dark laugh, the other assassin wolf leaned over and tugged at Jessie's curls. "And what are you going to do about it, Pup?"