Chapter Forty-Two

"You'll need to decide what form you'll take when fighting

"You'll need to decide what form you'll take when fighting. It's better to master one than to flip back and forth. This will be your prominent fighting form, a form you'll always take." Dominic stood before Terra and her friend, gaze flickering between the both of them.

It was still early in the day, fresh dew on the grass, and the Hunter felt it was time to start working with them. He had his duffel on the ground by his feet, a boot touching the side as if to insure no one would sneak it away from him.

"It'll make my people more comfortable as well," he went on. "To know you won't suddenly be shifting near them."

Terra flexed her fingers and thought. "Through my training I'll work with both." She flicked her gaze to Jessie. "I'll start here for now." Jessie's hands were near her chest, not relaxed like Terra's. She nodded her agreement in the decision but said nothing more.

The Hunter rose a brow but nodded all the same. "And you?" he added with a nod to Jessie.

Jessie took a shuddering breath. "I'm not wonderful at shifting without the moon. Even with practice," she added with a glance to Terra.

"Then you'll need to learn how to defend yourself at least," Dominic said. "Have you ever used a weapon? "

Jessie rubbed her hands together and shook her head. "I carried a pocketknife with me, but I never used it."

Terra lifted her hands up and sighed. "We're as new to this as anyone can be. It's another reason the extra help is needed."

Dominic motioned to the Alpha, taking a step back. "Then let's see what you do know then."

Terra turned into an easy stance even without a weapon, showing at least some practice in easy combat. Though Jessie copied her, she showed far less skill.

Dominic kept to where he stood. "And you'll just stand your enemy off, will you?"

Terra swept her gaze over him and shook her head. "You're more likely to have weapons, right? I'd rather be on the defense."

"That's smart," he said with a nod and glanced to Jessie. "What could I be carrying?"

Jessie scanned him as well and frowned in thought. "A good number of knives and daggers," she suggested. "The Hunters can lace them, too, to harm just the wolves."

Dominic nodded again. He freed a long bladed knife from his coat, and rested the blade against his palm. "Have you ever felt wolfsbane?" he said to Jessie alone.

At the sight she immediately took a step back. She shook her head and kept herself from looking at Terra again. "No," she said to reply vocally.

"Then it would be in your best interest to keep it that way." Dominic threw the dagger to the ground, hard enough to make it stick straight up. "It's unlikely Sonya will have any wolves fighting in the human form. That will give you an advantage at least. But, many of my men will have these weapons. Some are designed for throwing. You'll have to learn to keep out of their way, so they don't injure you instead."