Chapter Twelve

Terra walked through a path in the woods, exploring with Jessie

Terra walked through a path in the woods, exploring with Jessie. The sun had started to set a while ago, and finally Jessie paused and turned towards her. "I'm going to go back in. We could make some dinner -- like grilled cheese. I'm sort of craving it."

Tilting her head to the stars, Terra sighed. "I think I'll meet you in a bit. I want to keep walking for a while."

Her new friend gave a small nod. "Don't be out too late." She waved and skipped back towards the Manor, hurrying toward her brother when he appeared. Terra smiled after them and turned back onto the path to explore more.

She walked along for a while before pausing, a strange smell overcoming her. She turned around a few times before she faced the direction it came from. She knew it was a person, but wasn't really sure who. "I know you're following me," she called out finally, placing a scowl on her face.

The bushes rustled as someone stepped out. Sonya fluffed her hair around her shoulders and offered a smile to Terra. "Your senses are coming in at last. Expected as the moon comes closer."

Terra's scowl only deepened and she sighed. "Great, now I can smell people." She continued along the path, but didn't take her gaze off of Sonya. "Why were you following me?"

Sonya floated after her, stepping soundlessly against the forest litter. "You know the answer to that."

"You want to help me," Terra answered simply. "You don't have to, and I would rather you leave me alone for the moment." She stopped and turned back towards the Alpha. "I don't need your help."

"You just think you don't need it," Sonya chirped. She held her hands behind her back much like a child. "But you see, I am the only one that is able to truly help you." Sonya skipped closer to her, pausing just inches away. "Terra." She put on an innocent smile, though her eyes narrowed.

Terra stepped back from her, searching her face. "I have my own help, thanks."

"So you think." The light suddenly went out in Sonya's eyes and she pranced around Terra so that she stood just behind her. Sonya dropped a hand on Terra's shoulders, her already long nails sharpening. "They can teach you how to be a wolf," Sonya whispered, drawing her face close to Terra's hair. "They can teach you to defend yourself. They may even teach you how to kill. However, only I can help you."

Terra whipped away from Sonya and backed up on the path, glancing at her feet to make sure she didn't stumble. "I don't need your help. In fact I'd like to go get some dinner and relax. Away from you." A shudder went through Terra as she moved around Sonya.

Sonya grinned, exposing two sets of sharpened teeth. "I'll let you relax," she said, closing the space between them once more. "I'll protect you, then I'll wake you up." Sonya lashed out at her, snatching the back of Terra's neck with one hand as she brought a cloth over her face with the other.