Chapter Fifty-Three

Snow was falling heavier though it didn't seem to bother the Hunter any as he watched the wolves' cabin from where he leaned against a tree. He slowly worked on one of his dagger's, sharpening it down to the point. There weren't any other wolves in the yard, though pawprints in the fresh snow exposed where one had gone. Dominic and the former Beta had shared a glance for just a few seconds before the black wolf went out to start his patrol, the small white wolf following more slowly behind him.

Now, the Hunter was left alone again, watching the cabin silently.

A light flickered on near a window, and after a moment, the back door pushed open. Brit peered out at him, a hood over her head and her hair flipped over the scar that ran down her face, red and raw. She stepped out slowly and wrapped her arms around herself as she moved into the snow, and stopped a bit away from him. "You could always come in, you know," she told him.

The Hunter lowered the blade, gaze on Brit. "I don't think that's a good idea," he said and pocketed the sharpening stone, the dagger finding it's sheath next.

Brit nodded and looked down at the snow, pushing at it with the toe of her boot. "Right." She gave an awkward cough but said nothing more.

"How...are you?" Dominic said. He dropped his gaze from her, tipping his head down so his hood masked his face.

A snort came from Brit and she glanced up at him. "Well, I would be dead without you, I suppose." She tipped her head up further with her scar in plain view no matter what she did.

The Hunter clenched his hand at his side but when he faced her again, there was a sense of disappointment in his eyes. "And once again, I arrived too late."

Brit lifted a hand to her tender scar. "If it is anyone's fault, it's mine," she whispered. "I wasn't able to do...anything, actually."

"That doesn't make it your fault," the Hunter said and leaned off the tree. "A sire bond isn't easy to break. Especially for such a new wolf."

Brit just lifted her shoulders and turned away from him. "I suppose it marks me as a monster. That was his intention. I am reminded of it whenever I look in a mirror." She stepped away through the snow, parallel to the cabin still.

Dominic walked with her, keeping an appropriate distance though moved closer than before. "It means you survived," he said.

Brit halted and she turned towards him quickly. She closed the distance between them and snatched for his arm, her eyes red and brimming with tears. Dominic halted immediately and brought a hand to the sharpened dagger on instinct but paused halfway. Brit's gaze followed his hand and she released her hold. The tears fell over onto her cheeks and rolled awkwardly against her scar. "See?" she whispered.

"That isnt-" he started but just let the words drop, his hand falling away. "You're not a monster."

"A beast then," she snapped in reply. "Whatever you want to call it, that's what he made me." Brit wiped at her eyes with her sleeve and winced when the hard fabric passed over the tender tissue. "If I had died in the woods that night, I would have saved everyone a lot of trouble."