Chapter Twenty-Eight

With the afternoon sun glittering off the porch, even the cool wind couldn't keep away a small sweat on Terra's brow as she pulled her hair from her neck and into a ponytail

The door opened and Jake slid out with a smile. "Not long until that weather changes," he told her and propped the door open with his foot.

Wren popped his head out after Jake, a wide grin plastered on his face. "Lynea says we need stuff for dinner," he said. "And I get to go!"

"Did she give you some cash, kid?" Jake asked with a smile. "Because otherwise dinner will be apples and peanut butter."

"We have a little," Wren said and shrugged. "Jrasic used to take us stuff too, but we also have stuff so." He turned his attention back fully onto Terra. "I've never been into town before!" he added with a certain twinkle in his eyes.

"Never?" Terra asked. She offered her hand out to him and nodded down the lawn. "There's a cute cafe with hot chocolate."

Jake smiled fondly and jumped down the steps. "Not to mention a sweet shop."

Wren looked between them, a small pout forming on his lips as he took Terra's hand. "Lynea said only stuff for dinner," he said softly.

Terra started down towards the trees with Jake on Wren's other side and she frowned. "One piece of chocolate can't hurt, right? Besides, I am the Alpha."

"Yeah but..." Wren mumbled and watched the ground with uncertainty.

Jake reached around his pockets before he pulled out a dollar and offered it to Wren. "Here," he said with a smile. "It's a gift, and now it's not Lynea's money. It's yours."

Wren looked up to him with round eyes but didn't accept. "Lynea always says we have to get what we need." He turned back to Terra then and added softly, "That's why Jrasic always brought the good things."

Terra gave his hand a light squeeze and nodded. "Well, I think sometimes everyone needs a little chocolate." She nodded to Jake, though, and he put the dollar away. "But you don't have to get it if you don't want to."

Shrugging again, Wren fell quiet and just studied their surroundings, his hand still clutching Terra's tightly.

Terra turned them into the hiking path as they neared the town, and smiled at a couple they passed. Jake, however, stayed firm at Wren's side and glanced suspiciously around the woods, a deep concentration on his face.

"You're making the human's nervous," Wren said.

"Good," Jake said. He looked down at Wren and the scowl softened. "They won't go further into the woods if they're nervous."

Wren made a face though didn't say anything more, returning to exploring the new places with his gaze alone.

Terra kept them moving quickly down the street towards the center of town, where the larger stores were. She glanced at Jake every so often in question.