Chapter Forty-Eight

Brit sat at the base of a tree, her hood drawn up to keep out the chill

Brit sat at the base of a tree, her hood drawn up to keep out the chill. She had her legs tucked up against her chest, arms wrapped around them as she waited. Her eyelids drooped every few seconds, but she forced herself to stay awake.

"It's good to see you again." Aaron stepped out from behind her tree, coming to stand directly beside her.

Brit tucked her chin down onto her knees and turned her head the other direction. "Let me go back," she muttered.

With a light hum on his lips, Aaron circled around her until he stood before her instead. "Not yet," he said and crouched down to her eye level. "How was your first moon?"

"Agonizing," she snapped. "I am sore and tired." Brit rose her gaze to his for a split second before she turned away again. "I want to go bed."

"Come on," Aaron said. "You haven't missed me?"

Brit snorted and just tucked herself into a smaller ball, hood covering her face.

A frown crossed Aaron's face and he set a firm hand on her knee. "Tell me that you missed me," he ordered.

She flinched at his touch and the words rose in her throat. Brit lifted a hand to her forehead and, voice breaking, whispered, "I missed you."

"Good," Aaron said and leaned back, a smile replacing his frown. "I missed you too, Brit."

Brit pulled back against the tree, the bark rough even through her heavy clothing. "I know what that is," she told him. "The...the bond."

"Oh, very good." Aaron stood up, hands sliding into his sweater pockets. "But do you know why it even exists?"

"I don't care," she muttered. "I don't want to be attached to you." Brit tucked her hands into herself and she curled away from him.

"But we are," Aaron said. "We always will be." He slowly moved around her, trying to keep in her line of sight. "So, how are things with your new home?"

Brit hesitated and when she lifted her glare to him there was a dead eyed smile on her lips. "I don't want to talk about it," she said calmly.

Aaron mirrored her expression. "Yes you do," he said. "I want you to tell me how little Terra is doing. If that Hunter is still around."

"Terra's a good Alpha," she told him slowly, weighing every word. "The Hunter...he- he doesn't do well with wolves." She felt a tight pressure in her chest to say more, but pressed her lips together in silence.

Aaron barked a laugh and leaned against her tree, facing her. "Having a hard time not killing you, is he?"

"No," she said before she could stop herself. Brit slid back and stood against the tree. "I- I don't know what he's thinking."

"So, what about your good Alpha then?" Aaron said. He grinned sweetly at her, leaning in a bit closer. "How many wolves does she have now?"

Brit dug her palm into the tree, the pain giving her a moment to think. "More than before, I'm sure," she forced through.