Chapter Eighty-Three

While the other wolves in the yard sparred in both forms, Peter stood with his gaze on the sky

While the other wolves in the yard sparred in both forms, Peter stood with his gaze on the sky. It was snowing again. Just little flurries that melted the moment they touched his body.

"Hey kid," Jo greeted coming up behind him. She clapped a hand down on his shoulder and followed his gaze.

"It's snowing," Peter informed her and opened his palm to watch a flake melt there.

"That's what happens when it gets cold," she told him. Jo leaned down and took a little snow to sprinkle it over his head. "See?"

Peter looked up at the flakes and ran a hand across his head to brush off the thicker ones. "I guess so."

Jo turned so she stood in front of him and tipped her head. "So, I heard you went out with that Beta to shift. How was it?"

"It hurt," Peter said. He shifted his gaze to her instead. "But...it was different."

"A good different?" she asked leaning down a little. "The full moon is coming up soon, and this time we might be able to really enjoy it. What do you think?"

"There are still Hunters," Peter said and found himself dropping his gaze to his boots.

Jo lifted her shoulders and nodded. "Sure, but there might always be Hunters. They'll just be closer sometimes."

"Well, you're right, there."

Jo looked up and her smile turned into a sneer. "Hello, little Alpha. What can we do for you?"

Terra paused to the side of them and shook her head. "I'm waiting for the Hunters, actually. They'll be coming by to help with training today. It'd be best to warn you, first."

The other Alpha huffed and drew Peter a bit closer. "Of course they will."

Peter growled at Terra and sent a glance toward the Compound. "Why?"

"It's part of our alliance," Terra explained to him. "They're bringing us different weapons and teaching us how to use them properly."

"Weapons?" Jo suddenly looked intrigued. "The Hunters have a lot of things locked up in there."

Terra drew in a slow breath and nodded. "You can join, of course, but everything will happen under our supervision. With the tension around here, we don't want any accidents."

"Like with the new wolf?" Peter said. He turned a hard gaze onto Terra, a snarl at every word. "Who does he belong to?"

"Shayne belongs to himself," Terra said. "He's under our care, but he has the freedom to decide where he wants to be." Her gaze flickered to Jo a moment and Terra's voice softened. "Just like you, Peter. We force no one to fight or even stay here."

The boy snorted loudly, yet the anger somehow faded from his eyes the longer he held Terra's gaze.

"It's dangerous out there right now, but we're trying to make it safer. If you want to leave, we'd make sure anyone who does is safe." Terra gave him a little smile.