Chapter Sixty-Three

In the early morning, before the sun had a chance to rise, Terra pushed herself through snow

In the early morning, before the sun had a chance to rise, Terra pushed herself through snow. She tried to use the trees for leverage as she marched through the forest back towards the main part of town. Her coat was pulled tightly around her as snowflakes drifted through the air, but she didn't turn back towards the Compound.

By the time she slowed, the sky was orange and bathed the cabin in faint light. Terra didn't bother to stomp her boots before she pushed her way inside and upstairs. Jrasic's scent still covered their room and as she lifted her sketchbook, Terra released a shaking breath. Checking the time, she sat downstairs and started a fire.

Terra checked the time again an hour later and stood from the chair, tucking her sketchbook away as she left the cabin. She returned to the training wolves of the Compound, but left again in the morning, the same time as before. She drew at the cabin, just waiting, and left again after another hour.

On the third day, she stoked the fire and filled the cabin with warmth, sitting with her legs tucked up beneath her. Her eyelids dropped at the early hour, but still she waited, until finally the back door to the cabin creaked open and boots knocked against the threshold.

Sharp winter air rushed in to fight the fire's warmth for just a moment, before the door swung shut again. A new and dreadfully familiar scent cut through the comforts of the home, then Sonya appeared from the kitchen. She held two paper travel cups in hand, each with a tight lid. Her coat and hair were sprinkled with snow, and she offered a cup to Terra as she came further into the living room, like a friend simply dropping by.

"I brought coffee," she said. "I hope you like cappuccinos."

Terra watched the hand with the cup for a long moment before she took it, though only set it on a side table and stood from her seat. "Sonya," she said, trying to keep her voice calm. "I want Jrasic back."

"Of course you do, love." Sonya sighed sweetly and wrapped both gloved hands around her own cup. She simply sipped from it in silence.

Terra closed her eyes and took in a deep breath. "What do you want, then? For him?"

"You wouldn't trade," Sonya said. "Not even for your darling sire."

"I'm here, aren't I?" Terra asked, curling her fingers into fists. "You broke the rules, Sonya, but all I want is him."

"I haven't, actually." Sonya sipped at her cup again and wandered from Terra, inspecting the cabin. "I don't want to give him to you. Not now that he's fallen into my hands...now that you've left him behind."

A low growl escaped Terra's throat and she took a step forward. "I had to leave, but that doesn't mean I've abandoned him."

Sonya hummed a little as she looked over the fireplace. "Then I wonder what took you so long to decide to come here?"

"I'm an Alpha, I had to take care of my pack, but Jrasic is a part of that, too." Terra took another step forward and grabbed her coffee. "You must want something for him. Something I can give."