Chapter Forty-Nine

The Hunter stood close to the deck's railing, watching the cut flowers casually sitting in a vase, as fresh as if they had been placed just that morning

The Hunter stood close to the deck's railing, watching the cut flowers casually sitting in a vase, as fresh as if they had been placed just that morning. "He's most likely told her not to say anything," he said. "So it won't be of any use talking to her about it."

Terra absently chewed on her lip and she nodded. "If the bond is that strong..." she sighed through her nose and glanced out at the woods.

"So far, he's been letting her go," Dominic said. He straightened off the railing and crossed his arms as he set his gaze on the forest. "But he's going to want to see her again."

"We'll figure it out." Terra gave a slow nod and sighed. "For now, we should go."

He broke away from her first and went out into the yard without a word. The truck was already pulled up into view, parked close to the trees, and he simply headed toward it.

Without letting him pull too far ahead, Terra moved quickly after him and climbed into the passenger side. Dominic closed himself into the driver's seat, shifting the duffle off his shoulder single handedly. He turned his head to the back seat and let it sit, just within reach. The Hunter brought the truck to life and circled the cabin, then headed back into the forest through a gap, just wide enough though not quite a proper path. Silence fell over the car in moments.

• • • • ☾ • • • •

It didn't take too long to reach town, and soon they were driving down one of the busier streets lined with stores. Dominic pulled into an outdoor mall and parked off away from the majority of the cars, secluded but not out of place.

"This shouldn't take long," Dominic said. He adjusted a concealed knife beneath his coat and stood out of the car next, leaving his bag behind for once. He skimmed the parking lot and the walks beyond, until he found a man in a grey striped hoodie, the hood drawn over his head, amongst a thin crowd by the waterfall. "He's here."

Terra followed his gaze and gave a short nod. "I'd rather leave town as soon as possible. The longer we're here, the easier it is to pick up our scent."

Dominic nodded but didn't say a word until they got closer, easily moving through the casual shoppers and chatting groups. "You pick terrible locations," Dominic said in a way of greeting. The man turned to them and a smirk cracked his face.

"You complain too much," he said and motioned out in a random direction for them to walk. "You haven't reached out to us in a while. I assume that means all has been well?" The Hunter's gaze slipped to Terra and he tipped his head. "You decided to come along, then."

"I'd rather have a chance to affirm or defend myself," Terra replied. She glanced back to the waiting car and then at their surroundings. "If it's not a problem," she added.

"Hey, no, that's fair," the Hunter said with a shrug. "Not that Dominic would talk trash about you. Right?" He elbowed Dominic in the arm, rewarding him with a disapproving frown. It only made the man grin wider.

"We're here to give an update," Dominic reminded him.

"Yeah, yeah," the Hunter sighed. "Business as usual. I'm doing fine by the way, thanks for asking."

Terra listened to their casual conversation as they went, though her gaze constantly swept the plaza, just in case. Even so, she couldn't help a slight smile.

The Hunter talked more than he allowed Dominic to, getting mostly annoyed remarks in return. They kept walking as well, sometimes stopping before shops but never entering, simply blending in with the people around them. They occasionally passed through a group or two of people and someone bumped into Terra, offering a quick apology. Soon after, a trembling hand came to Terra's sleeve, grasping on like she was a life line.

"E-excuse me," he said, just a whisper. "Have you seen my sister?"

Terra turned to him with a confused reply on her lips, but it died as his scent hit her. She glanced as the Hunters continued walking and tried to pull her arm away. "I haven't," she answered in a whisper. "Why what- what else can I help you with?"

The boy swallowed hard and shook his head rapidly. He stole his hand back and held onto his opposite arm but it did nothing to stop his trembling. "H-he's looking for her," he whispered. He glanced down to his hands and lifted a small piece of paper to Terra.

Terra took the slip and glanced down at it. She crumpled the paper and shoved it in her pocket before reaching for him again. "Come with me," she whispered. "We can find your sister, and you'll be safe with us."

He flinched away from her, arms coming up as if to defend himself. "She...she can't- she..." The boy forced himself to look at Terra again, taking a step back. "I gotta go," he whispered and backed up again.

"Please," Terra whispered. She kept her hands to herself but stepped after him. "I can help you."

The boy wrung his hands together and shook his head. Tears welled at the corner of his eyes and without another word, he turned and ran off into the crowd.

Terra's head turned to find the Hunters for a split second and immediately lost the boy. With a whispered curse she turned and hurried to catch up to the Hunters.

They had paused by a shop with little business and Dominic glanced her way, though the other pretended not to notice. "We'll continue to keep an eye out," he told Dominic. "I'm not sure how long they've been out here." He glanced to Terra then, his easy smile returning. "But I agree things are moving fine," he said. "But for now, I don't think anyone else should join you."

"No," Dominic said. "Your wolves so far are still not comfortable with even just my presence."

Terra gave a short nod and kept one hand in her pocket. "My wolves are not required to agree with my decision, but they will not hinder it. They understand the importance."

The Hunter clapped his hands together and nodded. "Good, so we'll just keep things as they are." He gestured to Dominic next. "Do you need any supplies?"

"I'm fine with what I have," Dominic said and the Hunter nodded again.

"Sure, sure. Okay, I'll pass it on." He held his hand out to Dominic who accepted. When he went to draw away, the other Hunter held firm and stepped closer. "Be safe," he said lowly to him alone and when he stepped back, he winked to Terra as if it hadn't happened. "Maybe I'll see you at the next meet, Alpha."

Terra offered him a short nod in reply. "Perhaps." She tipped her head to Dominic and turned her back on the Hunter.