Chapter Eighty-Nine

There were only flurries of snow left to fall from the sky, though the day had been heavy with them

There were only flurries of snow left to fall from the sky, though the day had been heavy with them. Terra stood out by the tree line, waiting for the majority to join her. Brit crunched through the snow to her, arms crossed against the chill. Though she approached, the woman said nothing.

"You're never out first," Terra commented.

"I know." Brit lifted her shoulders. "Tonight is...different. With what will happen after, and all that."

"Yeah." Terra sighed. "Are you okay?"

Brit gave a soft laugh and looked over. "You're asking me? Terra, I'm perfectly fine. I'm...more worried about you."

The Alpha just shook her head and put a hand to Brit's arm. "Let's just get through the next few days. See how it all ends." Terra turned to face the house and smiled at the voices and laughter that rang from inside. "We'll be alright."

"So it's coming, then?" Shayne came outside next, a few other cell wolves spilling out to the yard. He wandered over to Terra, still distancing himself from the other strange wolves.

"Always does," Terra told him. "Do you feel any better than last time?"

Brit shook her head lightly. "I never do," she said and gave Shayne a smile.

"It's less..." Shayne frowned as he searched for the right words. "I know what to expect now."

Terra gave him a nod and her gaze drifted back to the house. "I'm sure Jessie will help you through it again. And Charles, too."

"It's a twin thing," Brit added in a whisper.

"Yeah well, Jessie's been a big help," Shayne said. He half turned from the girls to look up at the moon fighting through the last of the clouds.

"She always is." The Alpha took a small step away and gestured over her shoulder. "I should get ready. See you on the other side, Shayne."

"Sure," Shayne said and backed from them. He dared to move further into the other wolves and spotted Wren off closer to the house. Lynea was beside him and Erica was not too far off. He hadn't spoke much with them before so he kept to himself as more people gathered outside.

"Shayne!" Jessie came bouncing out of the house, her brother not far behind. She got to Shayne's side a bit winded, but grinned at him. "Sorry, I have all these last minute things for...you know, later. Just in case. How are you feeling?"

A smile immediately took to his face. "Better now," he said. His expression faltered when his gaze flicked to Charles for a second. "I didn't realize before how many people are really here."

"It's crazy, right?" Jessie looked around and shrugged. "It's good, though. Charles hates it. He just wants to sit quietly and read a book for hours on end."