Chapter Fourteen

With Jessie watching, brows upturned in concern, Terra paced as she had been for the last hour and a half

With Jessie watching, brows upturned in concern, Terra paced as she had been for the last hour and a half. Finally, Jessie swung over the edge of the bed and stood in front of her. "The moon is rising, we should head outside."

Terra let out a small groan and looked past her friend to the window. "Is there any chance you have the date wrong?"

Jessie took her hands and swung them with a small laugh. "I know the date. I can feel it, and I know you can as well. You're going to be fine, Terra." Jessie pulled her around and to the door, Terra still grumbling after her.

They went out through the screened porch to the backyard. Terra stayed close to the wall, staring out at the woods while Jessie shared quiet words with her twin.

"Nervous?" Jrasic leaned up against the wall beside Terra. He stood close enough so that their shoulders touched.

Terra let out a long breath. "Of course I am." She tipped her head up at the darkening sky. "I won't die," she said sternly.

"You'll be fine," Jrasic said with a nod. "The first turn can be frightening to many new wolves. But, just try to let it happen." He glanced over at her with a crooked grin that never reflected in his eyes. "It'll be easiest if you don't fight it."

Terra turned to look at him as well and tried to return the smile. "Though, I am pretty damn stubborn."

Jessie walked back over and rested her hand on Terra's arm. "Hey, I think it's almost time. If you don't mind, I think your Sire should help you with this." Her gaze went to Jrasic and gave him a short nod. "Besides, I'm not...too great at shifting myself yet."

With the moon rising to position in the sky, Jrasic nodded back to Jessie and leaned off the wall. "I'll keep with her," he said and kept his gaze on Terra.

Around the yard, wolves had already begun giving into the moon, some more naturally than others.

Terra watched the transformations with wide eyes, Jessie slipping off while she was distracted. She only pressed closer into the wall and crossed her arms over her chest. A ripple of pain ran through her and she winced, only curling into herself more.

"Let it happen," Jrasic reminded her. "You'll be fine." Jrasic fended off the moon himself as he stayed with her, resisting the change almost effortlessly.

There was a sharp snap and Terra let out a cry, shuddering as the agony rippled through her. The moon pulled harder at her and she dropped to her knees, arms wrapped around her. Terra clenched her eyes shut and ducked her head, shoulders shaking and mouth hanging open. Her body jerked again as it tried to reject the shift.

Jrasic took hold of her shoulders, his grip on her soft. "Terra, look at me. It'll be alright." He spoke as if his words were facts.

She tried to raise her head, but jerked back again as her bones snapped out of place. She let out a whimper as the humming pain started to increase, igniting her body on fire.