Persistence

She changed out of her sleepwear and put on her school uniform. While changing, she felt the warm air that surrounded her room. She frowned. Her mother had probably turned on the heat again. She hated hot weather and climates.

    At least that meant the weather outside was colder than usual. Her mother would only do that if that were the case. Now she needed to hurry out the door soon.

    She finally got her whole uniform on and got out of her bedroom. Luckily, her brother and her mother were still asleep, so she didn't have to face them this morning.

    With her school bag slung on her shoulder, she headed out of the house and into the cool air. She breathed it in and nodded. Now that was better. After that, she started the walk to her school.

     When she arrived, she was met by Hitoshi again. He approached her and greeted her excitedly. But she noticed that he was looking tired and rumpled. It didn't stop him from looking good. Was he not able to sleep last night or something?

     "It's been getting pretty cold, hasn't it?" Hitoshi said. "Are you sure with eating outside again for lunch today?"

     She stared at him blankly. By now he should know that she would always sit out there. Nevermind the weather.

     He chuckled nervously and scratched his head. "....Right, of course you'd be fine. Sorry....it's just that I might be getting a cold soon..I...I might've been outside for too long yesterday."

     Right. He was also sniffling and sneezing a bit. "Go and eat inside then. I'm still going to be outside," she told him.

    "Wha-what?! No way. I'll be eating wherever you're eating at," he exclaimed.

    She shrugged at him and at the sight of that, it made Hitoshi hurt to see how little she cared for him. "Whatever suits you," she said.

    The bell rang and the two of them departed from each other. Hitoshi waved with a big grin at [Y/N] and then dropped it when she couldn't see his face anymore. His heart was feeling painful. He knew how hard it was for her to fall in love with someone, but he thought he was able to make some progress. He thought she would  say to him that she would eat lunch inside for him today.....even if she hated it.  Except....that wasn't really how it went.

     As they went to their classes, they both zoned out a lot. One of them because of hopelessness....and the other one of nothingness.

     [Y/N] stepped out into the snow again and sat down under the tree. For once, Hitoshi wasn't here before her. She took out her lunch and stopped when she heard a loud sneeze in front of her. She looked up to see Hitoshi who was shivering. She half expected him to change his plans and go back inside to the warmth, but instead he sat down beside her.

     She felt him scoot away further from her, so she turned her head to look at him. He smiled sheepishly at her. "Sorry, I just don't want you to get sick because of me."

     She nodded silently and dug into her food without response. Hitoshi took out his food as well to eat. He didn't say anything for a while, which was a little strange to [Y/N]. Usually he would just launch into talking about random stuff. But not today. He was a lot quieter today for some reason.

    "What were you doing yesterday that got you sick?" she suddenly asked Hitoshi. He widened his eyes at that. [Y/N] never really was the one who would ask questions, so that surprised him a little.

    "I was out with my friends for a while last night," he said. He bit his lip, feeling kind of bad for lying. It was kind of weird how smooth he could lie though. She was nodding and her face didn't show any sign of suspicion.