Comfort Zone

It was Saturday, so she went to approach her mother. She had never gotten the chance to tell her mother about her going out today and she might as well do it before she goes. "Mother," she called out. "I'll be going somewhere with a friend at 10 today."

     Her mother was washing the dishes and [Y/N] could see that she was so shocked that she almost dropped the plate she was holding. She stopped washing entirely and dried her hands to face her daughter. Her jaw was dropped, but at the same time she seemed very happy. "Really?!" she exclaimed. "I'm so glad you've made a friend! Please have fun! But stay safe."

     Her chest bloomed of warmth and she nodded at her mother. "Thank you," she responded. Then she looked at the time to see that it was almost time to go. She left the kitchen and went to the entrance of her house to find her pair of shoes. She grabbed some tennis shoes and pulled them on and waited until she spotted a car coming up their driveway. She bid her mother goodbye and exited the house to see Hitoshi in the car, looking excited.

     She hesitantly walked towards the car and opened up the passenger seat's door. "Hello [Y/N], you look nice!" Hitoshi greeted. She looked at her choice of outfit. It was a short sleeve shirt and jeans since it was a fairly warm day today, because spring was coming soon. Her long, dark hair was also tied up into a ponytail. It was something she usually wouldn't wear. She looked down in embarrassment when he complimented her.

     "Thanks," she said. She shut the door and off they went.

     After a 20 minute drive, they arrived to the farm. [Y/N] got out of the car and followed Hitoshi to the entryway. When they finally paid and were in, she looked around at the unfamiliar place. Red weird looking building were here and there and crops were grown everywhere. Every type of farm animal were behind fences. "Where you want to go first?" Hitoshi asked her.

     "I'm not exactly sure...I've never been to a farm before," she muttered.

     "Since this is the first time for you, then I gotta make this so good for you that you won't ever want to leave!" he declared, scratching through his purple hair. "Oh I know! Let's go into the barn! You'll never ever be able to resist these animals!"

     He led her through the crowds of people and they found an open barn. When they stopped she looked down on the ground to find baby little chickens. Her forehead furrowed at the sight of them and she felt like backing away. But Hitoshi went to pick one up into his palms and he started to stroke the tiny little chick softly.

     "Don't worry, they let us hold them here," he said to her, noticing her facial expressions. When it didn't relax her at all he continued. "Uh.... are you maybe afraid of them?"

     Her lips in a grim line, she nodded at him slowly. "It might peck me," she pointed out.

     He shook his head and smiled at her. "Don't worry. This cutie little chick isn't doing any harm to me at all. If it isn't hurting me, it will definitely never hurt you, trust me." She made no move, so he reached out and held her hand. She almost flinched at the contact of the feel of his hand, but she didn't pull it away. He brought her hand slowly towards the chick and placed her hand on the top of the baby's head.

     Her body had gone rigid and she was holding her breath for a second. Except the chick made no move and didn't hurt her in any sort of way. She loosened her tense shoulders and her eyes soften. The chicken really wasn't what she had expected. It was fluffy and adorable and....precious.

     She knew she had said this too many time already to anyone today, but she couldn't help it. "Thank you." She still couldn't smile, but she knew she felt a small glimmer of happiness from this. She looked up from the baby chicken and was surprised to see him already staring at her with eyes she didn't understand.