Assuring Hugs

The second the lap of water flapped onto [Y/N]'s legs, she jumped back in shock. This wasn't just cold. It was freezing cold! Already there were goosebumps dotting along her arms. She turned to Hitoshi, her eyes searching for his help. He stared back at her and with a smile, slowly submerged deeper into the cold water.

     "It's too cold," she pointed out lamely.

     "I thought you liked the cold?" he replied with a grin. He got her there. Her cheeks blushed and she decided to give it another try. She followed in after him, hesitating as she trailed the top of the water with her foot. Breathing in and out to calm her pounding heart, she took a step into the water and winced at the feeling. This was much harder than she thought it was going to be. It was going to take a while until she would be fully submerged.

     Suddenly, a wet figure of her friend stood by her. The next thing she knew, he pulled her deeper into the ocean. Her head and her entire body was beneath the icy water. Flailing with fright like a bird, she quickly brought herself to the surface. "H-Hitoshi.....why did you do t-that? I'm g-going to get s-sick now," she said, looking stressed with her teeth chattering.

     He gave her a nervous laugh. "I'm sorry [Y/N], but you were taking forever up there. You wouldn't have been experience all this at all if I left you there." He swam over to where she was. "You'll get used to it. Here, I'll help you warm up for a while." With that he stretched his arms around her and pressed her body next to his.

     Instantly, her face warmed up. Sure, they've hugged each other before, but this was a little different. It was skin-to-skin contact and it made her nervous. "Y-you don't have to do this." She wasn't chattering and shivering anymore, but stuttering because of how close he was to her.

     "But if I want to do this? If it's helping you, then I'll be happy to do this," he told her.

      She knew there was no point to try and give excuses, so she just let him. His strong arms surrounding her felt very protective and it slowly seemed to be relaxing to stay in these waters. She didn't understand why, but there were sparks at where contact was made between her and Hitoshi. Those sparks weren't bad though; in fact, they made her look at the everything in front of her in an exhilarating way. It also made her want to lean more into the boy whose arms were around her. But she wasn't going to do that. They were just friends.

     "Remember the time when I asked you to braid your hair? Can I do it again today?" his voice asked her. She nodded. "I'm going to let go of you now, okay?"

     When he took his arms away from her, those sparks also flew away. She desperately yearned to get them, but stood still as Hitoshi went to do her hair. "I remember that you told me you had a sister while you did my hair. How is she?" she said.

     His hands faltered for a moment and she wondered if she asked a bad question. She was about to turn around to see his face, but he answered before she could. "She's living with my parents right now, so I don't get to see her that often," he explained quietly.

     "You should go see her soon then," she spoke, her voice equally as soft.

     If I go to see her then I'd have to face my parents," he mumbled bitterly. She whipped around to face him and the braid he was currently making fell apart. "Your braid!"

     She ignored his outburst. "I'm giving you a hug right now," she declared. His brown eyes widened in shock and he didn't know what to say. She got to him and like what he had done a little ago, she circled her arms onto him. She was touching his half-naked body, but she didn't care anymore. The fact that such a kind, happy boy at school like him was secretly hurting on the inside was hurting her. She was selfish. She thought that she was the only one who had problems. Now she saw that even the happiest little boy could be sad on the inside. "If you would be happy to see your little sister then go see her. Ignore the damn people who they call themselves your parents and do what you want to do."