Chapter 18- Beneath the moonless sky

PLEASE LISTEN TO THE SONG

Y/n looked at the body of the man standing before her, with trembling eyes. He looked the same. The same dark clothing, the same sad and fearful eyes. His caramel skin, now pale. The paralyzing hurt spread through her body like icy, liquid metal. She clenched her fists as she hesitantly took a step forward. ¨ It couldn't be... you're not alive.¨ she noticed her voice trembling. Her legs twitched under her weight, her throat closed, and her jaw became tight, trying to swallow back the cry that threatened to escape.

Her hands were frailty and caution, shaking gently as she reached for the face of the man whom she believed was dead for eight long years.¨It's really me...¨ taehyung said softly, reaching for her hand, which at this point was cold. He smiled an apologetic smile, looking at her with pure kindness and love like he has before. ¨I missed you¨ he said softly, brushing his knuckles against her cheek.

She fell in his touch, savoring each second. ¨Oh my god.¨ She exclaimed, backing away from him, leaving him surprised. ¨It all makes sense now.¨ and that it did. The mysterious Mister T, the whole arrangement, the music. ¨ I should have known that you would be here.¨ her eyebrows arched, glaring at him ¨ I should have known it all along! This whole arrangement bears your stamp.¨ She shook the leather booklet in his face ¨ You're in each measure of this song.¨

Her own actions surprised her, but who could blame her? For eight long years has she mourned his death, only to find out he isn't dead after all. She was his at last, and in less than twenty-four hours, she lost him. Of course, he had a perfectly good reason to do so, but why wait so long? Eight cursed years of waiting.¨ how dare you try and claim me now? How dare you come to invade my life?¨

Taehyung's lips pressed together in a line. ¨If you could know the pain I know, then you would know I had no choice.¨ He said softly, with just a hint of hurt. His steps were small and ghostly, walking over to y/n, his porcelain mask, glimmering. ¨ My y/n..."

"Your y/n?" She repeated, stepping back away from him " I was yours for one brief night, long ago."

"And did that not matter?" taehyung ask, gesturing around hopelessly " in the time the world thought me dead, I would think of nothing but you."

"Taehyung." she urged, turning her back to him.

"Did you not love me?" he asked, almost tearfully " don't deny what you did that long ago night."

"That night," she repeated, hugging her arms tightly, staring at the ground.

Once there was a night, beneath a moonless sky, too dark to see a thing, too dark to even try. He stole by her side, to tell her how he felt. She couldn't see his face but sense him so, and she touched him.

And he felt her.

And they heard those ravishing refrains.

The music of his pulse, the singing in her veins.

And he held her.

and she touched him.

And he embraced her.

And with every breath and sigh, he felt no longer scared, he felt no longer shy. At last, their feelings bared, beneath a moonless sky.

Dark in the night, as soul gazed into soul, she looked into his heart and saw him pure and whole. Cloaked under the night, with nothing to suppress. A woman and a man, no more and yet no less.

And he kissed her

And she caressed him

And the world around them fell away.

They said things in the dark, they never dared to say.

And he caught her.

And she kissed him.

And he took her.

And she begged him

With a need too urgent to deny, and nothing mattered then except for them alone. Again and again, beneath a moonless sky.

"You regret it" Taehyung stated, his arms limp at his sides.

"I Loved you taehyung." she turned around, her nails digging into her palms " how I loved you." she cried. " I would wake up every morning after the incident, hoping you'd be there, but always found you gone instead." tears burst forth like water from a dam, spilling down her face. She felt the muscles of her chin tremble like a small child, looking out the window as if the moonlight could soothe her.

There was static in his head once more, the side effect of this constant fear, constant stress he lived with. He heard his own sounds, like a distressed child, raw from the inside."I had to! We both know I had to!"

"Why did you take so long then ?!" she shook her hands in front of him " you know I would've followed you anywhere!"

"I'm sorry" was all he could say "I was scared of how you would look at me. That night everyone believed I did it. The damned phantom of the opera murdered that stagehand that night, and you..." he paused " you saw me with those eyes. "

"I knew you didn't" she whispered, wiping the tears off her cheeks.

"I don't regret ever loving you." taehyung said softly. " I still do."

" Taehyung... I cant " she exhaled a distressed breath " I have a life now.... A life I made with jungkook."

"Him?" taehyung scoffed " the patron? That idiot."

" I'm sorry taehyung." y/n didn't dare look at him." we both made choices. I'm engaged."

"Is that why he is in the office, writing over the contract? Because he is your fiancee and makes choices for you?" he sneered.

"Taehyung cut it out." Y/n shot back. " don't speak to me that way. For now, you are only the man who asked me to sing at his masquerade. Nothing more" she paused and whispered " nothing less."

Taehyung opened his mouth to speak, but the door swung open, and it ran a terrified young girl, running straight into the legs of her mother " mother I'm scared!" she cried. Y/n quickly held the small girl in her arms "whats wrong my love?" she asked her distressed child. " it was so terrible. There was a man chasing after me and taking me away from you." she cried.

Y/n rubbed circles in the back of the child to soothe her, making soft shushing noises "there, there, my angel of music " she whispered in her motherly tone " it was nothing but a dream"

Taehyung watched y/n console her daughter." you're a..." he hesitated softly " you're a mother."

y/n's eyes shifted to the ground before facing taehyung and nodding.

"I must go put her back to bed," she said softly, now rocking the sleeping girl and taking gentle steps toward the door

"And now..."taehyung said softly " for us...what about now?" he asked hopefully.

"For us..." Y/n said, gazing taehyung straight into the eyes before responding. " there is no now."