Chapter 38- If I said I loved you

Y/n sat on the steps of the opera house, a blanket draped against her shoulders to shelter her from the cold. Her breath paled in the air as she looked up at the night sky, watching all the stars twinkle in the darkness- a way to distract her from her current thoughts.

"Mama!" A tiny voice was heard from afar.

Y/n flicked her head towards the source. It was taeyeon and taehyung walking hand in hand.

She stood up with a smile and opened her arms widely " come here you~" she said happily, as the eight year old girl let go of Taehyung's hand and came racing into the protective arms of her dear mother. "How'd it go?" She asked her daughter as she picked her up.

"Mama!" Taeyeon exclaimed excitedly " it was amazing! I wish you could've gone. There were alot of animals and dancers and a lot of yummy food!"

" sounds like you had tons of fun." Y/n said " did you?" She asked Taehyung as he finally reached her.

"It was enjoyable " he said with a soft tug at his lips " this little monkey isn't any trouble at all." He pinched Taeyeon's cheek softly. She giggle in response " only when we lost each other." She said with a smile.

"Lost each other?!" Y/n was taken aback at taeyeon's words, and taehyung choked on air. "Taehyung did you lose my daughter?"

"Only temporarily" he said after regaining himself " no harm done."

Y/n just squinted her eyes at him and raised a brow.

"Don't be mad mama" Taeyeon placed a hand on her mother's soft and cold cheek " it was my fault. I separated from him because I wanted to see the elephant, he was looking all over for me."

" at least you're fine." Y/n said softly " now, run along now, it's late and you need to sleep" in placed a loving kiss on her daughter's cheek. " goodnight my love."

"Goodnight mama" she said and stepped towards Taehyung " goodnight mister T"

Taehyung kneeled down and smiled at the young girl " goodnight Taeyeon."

"Thank you for the outing " She said sincerely, placing a quick kiss on his cheek and running off inside the opera house.

Taehyung smiled at her running figure, placing a hand on the cheek where she kissed him, the warmth slowly going away.

"Thanks a lot Taehyung." Y/n said " she seems like she enjoyed herself."

"Id do it again if I could" he admitted as he stood up " I really did feel like a father to her."

Y/n nodded softly and pursed her lips.

"Y/n?" Taehyung softly said as he took her hands in his " have you thought of my offer?"

"Of course I have " she replied, looking down at the ground and not at his eyes.

"And?"

"I still don't know."

"Y/n..." He placed a hand under her cheek and lifted her head to face him. She looked deep in his eyes. Those eyes of him that hold so much emotion that are rimmed with deep and thick black lashes. Emotions like sadness, pain, fear and above all: love. "If I said I loved you, All my life I loved you, Would the line be crossed?"

Would his words make sense?
Would his thought be cause for concern?
Would she turn to frost?
Would she take offense?
Or perchance feel love in return?

She sighed softly in defeat, her eyes feeling hot and heavy " If I said I loved you, All my life I loved you, would you think me cruel to presume as much?"
Should she take more time to declare? Would she seem the fool To admit as such?
In her heart he's always been there.

A second of silence. Then two. Then three. Then sixty.

"After all we've been through now
Is the hour too late?" Taehyung asked, his eyes pleading to her. He may be stubborn but by god he wasn't going to let her go without a fight.

She backed away from his touch "Is it too soon? Can a person forgive Where the wound you won't give time to heal?" She sighed and hugged her arms close to her " things are complicated Taehyung. You know they are. I can't just think of myself but of others too" she looked straight at him, teary eyed "Do I say the words, Risk as few would dare, Such a precious bond as we share?" Her voice quivered as she spoke, the hurt and the pain evident in it.

Taehyung's lips tightened in a line "If I said the words, If I spoke my heart, If I said out loud what I feel, If I had the strength Once again to start I would risk the tide and reveal it all."

"But you can't" Y/n sniffled and wiped her tears " and neither can I."

Taehyung's arms fell to his sides. " I wonder what you'd say, Wonder what you'd do, If I said "My love, I love you" " he looked at her hopefully, his eyes shining in the moonlight along with his porcelain mask, which also seems to be saddened.

Her hunched back faced him and in the dark of the night with the orchestra of crickets, a soft voice came from her lips " goodnight Taehyung."

His shoulders slumped as he heard her reply. He knew that he was close to losing her, and that was the one thing he fears more in the world. Losing the one women who he loves and being left alone in the shadows once again.