chapter three - Luna

Walking into the room, I set Laurel down on the bed and looked through the bathroom, finding a small first aid kit that had a few bandages in it and lucky me this house had alcohol. "I've gotta ask." I say, looking to Laurel as I walked up to the bed. "What made you think we would take you in?" I asked her and she looked to me.

She gave a shrug. "I don't know. I guess I was going to take my chances." She says and I shake my head at her. This girl really didn't have a grasp yet on the real world.

I stopped in front of her and knelt down so I was at her height. "Listen kid. Out there, you can't just take your chances. You've gotta know what's going on and where. We could be killers and you wouldn't know until you're already dead. But we're not so you got lucky. You can't just, take your chances, that's what gets you killed. You need to be certain all the time." I say and she nods her head.

"Yes mam." She says and I almost flinch at that. She looks down like she's done something wrong, like I'm going to hit her. I'm not like them, like my father. Not in the slightest.

I reach out my hand and set it on her shoulder, frowning when she flinches back. "I ain't gonna hit you kid. No one here is going to, not under my watch. You're gonna be just fine here." I say to her, smiling a bit before it drops and I move out of the way when Lynne enters the room. "I'll be down stairs, get me if you need something." I say, winking to Laurel before walking out of the room and to the main room, where the only people who were still up and there were Mark, Rhys, Jinxx.

Everyone else was off asleep or they were Lynne and Laurel. Walking over, I sit down next to Mark and set my head on his shoulder. He smiles and pulls me so that I'm sitting on his lap, my head back on his shoulder.

I wanted so bad to tell him that I wasn't okay all the way like I've been showing off. But it was the look I was willing to put up for them, all of them.

Just as my eyes close I heard Jinxx speak up. "Why did we let her in?" He asks and I open my eyes and look to him.

Rhys looks to him and rolls her eyes. "Because she's a kid and she deserves a chance." Rhys snapped at him, tired of him already. Maybe it was the lack of sleep or maybe that was just the actual Rhys that I hadn't seen in a while.

"She's the daughter of the people who killed Caleb, why is she still alive?" He asks and I nearly lunged at him if it weren't for Mark. His name was so foreign, like a trigger word once it fell.

Rhys looked to me for a second before looking back to Jinxx. "Because it was Luna's decision. It was her who killed Rei and Harper. It was her brother who got killed. It's her demons to slay." Rhys says to him, softer so that Laurel wouldn't hear it from the room down the hallway.

Jinxx looked to me in my state and scoffed, turning back to the window. "It was a poor decision." He says and I glare at the man before laying my head back again against Mark.

"Maybe, but for now. Suck it up."