chapter fourteen - Lynne

Silence led the entire room for a few minutes, as we were unable to do so much as even move. Slowly, I looked as Luna walked out of the house, Mark's eyes wide and Jinxx staring.

"Th-The bitch pulled a gun on me! Do something, Lynne. Madelyn?" He asked aggressively as he turned to us.

"Jinxx, you need to understand that your words have consequences." Madelyn started, which made anger boil to his face.

"Do those consequences mean getting a bullet through my fucking head?" He asked angrily, only to be met with the same expression by Madelyn. I turned to Mark and pointed my finger.

"Go get her!" I demanded, and he obeyed quickly. I put my head in my hands as I let out a shaky breath.

Madelyn was now taking Jinxx out of the room and leading him to another one, her eyes on the back of his head.

Bella was hand-in-hand with Laurel, her head on her shoulder. "How are we going to get out of this, Ly?" She asked.

I looked to my blonde sister. "I don't know, kiddo." I said gently, and she looked to me with her distant eyes as Laurel ran off to get some water for the two of them.

"Lynne. . . I'm really, really scared. I...I don't want anything bad to happen to anyone. And Luna..." Her eyes glossed over with tears.

This girl surely had come a long way since what I remembered of her. The young girl, the one who loved colouring and dancing in the rain, had turned into the girl that was scared for her life.

The poor girl wasn't even twelve yet.

"Listen, Belles, it's going to be okay." I said and I could see her shake her head as if she didn't believe me. "I just...I don't know how to explain it--."

"This world is scary," Lisa said from beside me, "and sometimes you can't change it. Sometimes you can't bring it back. But you can only be scared if you choose to be. You're a very brave little girl."

"What if one day I wake up and Lynne's not there?" Bella asked, and she gave a faint smile.

"I don't think she's planning on leaving you anytime soon." She said.

I shook my head and pulled the young girl in for a hug. "I feel bad for Jinxx and Luna though..." She muttered soundly in my shoulder.

"Me too," I said with anger hissing my voice as to what Jinxx did to cause the outbreak, "Trust me Bella. We'll fix it."

She looked up to me and tilted her head.

"We always do."