chapter twenty-two - Lynne

I hated when Luna acted like this. I thought in my head as I stared at Blake getting searched for guns, as if her fragile and broken down foundation wasn't enough to encourage us she wasn't armed.

It was the lack of trust, the anger that raised in her voice.

I hated all of it. "Calm down, Luna, I know her. We don't have to check her for guns--." I began.

"We can't ever be to sure when we have two eleven year olds with us, Lynne." She snapped back, looking at Mark as he moved away from Blake, holding a small pocket knife.

"Th-That was my mothers! Give it back!" Blake asked delicately, and I gave a glare to Mark.

"No weapons, huh?" Luna asked.

"There's a difference between a memory and a weapon. Otherwise I'd count the ring that was in your pocket a--."

In a few seconds, she had her crossbow pointed towards me. "Don't bring that up." She demanded, making me silence and scowl.

"Whatever. Did you guys even ask why she was here?"

Luna sighed shakily, "No. Why do we care?" She asked.

"I-I need help. And I need to warn you about someone!" Blake screamed as she went to turn and walk away.

"Help? Have you seen us?" Mark asked, Luna staring at the girl like she was crazy before breaking out into a laugh.

"We can't help you, Blake," she replied, "we don't even have enough materials to go around half of the time."

"We had to limit rations." Mark continued, looking around as Bella and Laurel walked out of the house in the confusion of what was happening. "We had to share rooms, we had to make our own bullets for damn's sake, Lynne."

"Well maybe we can still help people!" I replied loudly, a hiss falling quickly into a growl. Luna rolled her eye and turned away.

"Lynne, we can't and you know that."

"We don't have all the materials to." Mark pitched in, making me point my finger at him.

"Don't get into this." I said. Luna opened her mouth to speak but I interrupted her, "I'm just saying--Luna--for once! Can we pretend to trust someone? Please?" I asked.

She scoffed, a laugh escaping her lips, before she turned to see Blake. "Now what do you need to tell us then, friend who we trust completely even though you could be a masked murderer and kill Lynne's only little sister?" She asked, which made my blood boil.

I was about to walk over to her and confront her when Blake made us stop in our trails.

"H-His name is James. . ."