chapter twelve - Lynne

We didn't stop running. Hell, I don't think we would've wanted to if we even acknowledged for a few seconds that we had run a good mile away from the fucking base.

Luna and I - I could tell we were taking mental notes of where we were. Looking around, glancing at every landmark that was there to try and remember where this guy resided.

A few walkers surrounded us, but we shot them quickly, regaining the familiarity of the weight of a gun in our hands and the trigger under our finger.

Bella and Laurel were hysterically sobbing, their eyes red as they thought about what just happened. ". . . Rhys. . . Ben . . ." Laurel muttered under her breath, and I sighed.

Stacy was holding in there, ready to break when we finally stopped to take a break. She looked around the area leading to our base.

Coldly, I held Bella close to me. "Are we gonna talk about what the fuck just happened?" I asked with anger licking my voice.

Luna sighed, "What do we talk about?"

"Let's start with who the Hell that James guy is." Jinxx said, his voice a thick and scared line of adrenaline.

Luna shook her head. "Not here," she said, "not now."

"When were you going to tell us who he was? After we all died?" Stacy asked, tears rolling down her face.

"Listen - I didn't think he'd find us. EVER. I thought we took care of him for good, but this just shows you can't have mercy for anyone cause he never changed." She said in her thin voice.

Mark wrapped an arm around her shoulder as I turned to Bella and picked her up, Laurel still holding my hand.

"We gotta go." I said as we walked towards our base, "we have to leave. He knows where we are, he's gonna come back for us and kill us."

"He ain't killing us, not today, and he surely ain't going to get out of this alive. We're going to avenge Rhys, Ben, and Alex," Luna replied, earning a perked up expression from Madelyn and Stacy.

"I'm so sorry." She continued, "I'm so sorry this is all my fault. Can we just...move on with this?"

I shook my head and put my hand on her shoulder. "It's not your fault." I said, though I could tell by her eyes she didn't believe me.