chapter forty-two - Lynne

"Do you hate me for saying we should kill him?" Bella asked me, as I crossed my arms. I turned to meet her gaze and then shook my head.

"I could never hate you," I admitted lowly, brushing some of her hair behind her ear as she looked around.

". . . Laurel does," she said after a minute. Again, I shook my head and sighed, looking to see a distressed look plastered on her face.

"Laurel doesn't hate you," I promised, "you two just think differently." She stayed quiet, making me tilt my head, "why did you choose to kill him anyway?" I asked quietly.

". . . he hurt Luna, I didn't want him hurting Laurel or you." She said.

A cracked smile hit my features as I pulled my sister closer to me. "Trust me, I won't let anything happen to you, Laurel, or myself." I said.

I felt her expression change from a mile away, her smile grace her face and her head nod.

I ruffled her hair. "Don't worry, kiddo," I comforted, "everything will be okay." She nodded her head.

"And you really don't hate me, Lynne?" She asked.

Nodding, I furrowed my eyebrows. "Have you ever given me a reason to hate you?" I asked.

". . . when mommy died because of me," she spoke quietly, "and when I didn't help Alex when she needed help--."

"Hey, stop, okay?" I asked. "Everything's gonna be fine. We already talked about this. You didn't take mommy away. It just wasn't her time. God wanted her."

"But. . ." She shook her head, "I took her away. She died because of me."

I sighed, "Bella, you did not kill our mother. Okay? Stop being so derogatory to yourself. You are a perfectly normal kid. Plenty of women die giving birth."

"I know," she admitted, "but it still doesn't feel. . . right."

I pulled her close to me, "do not think that you did anything wrong. You never do anything wrong."

"I know I don't, but--."

"No 'buts'. You haven't done anything wrong, ever. You've done nothing but be a kid, who was born in a wrong time. You and Laurel both, and if she hates you for being . . . you. . . then, she's not worth your time anyway. Just try being a kid for a little longer."

"I know, Lynne."

"You're still my little girl," I said, holding her tight, "you always will be, and I swear I won't ever let anything hurt you."

"Jeez, I know, Lynne." She replied snarkily.

"Do you?" I asked, chuckling, "I think I need to say it a few more times."

"Please don't," she replied, shaking her head as I left a kiss on her forehead.

"I love you, Bella." I said after a second.

"I love you too, Lynne."