chapter sixteen - Lynne

I ran a hand through my hair and sighed softly as we waited for Luna and Mark to come back. Jinxx eventually walked down the stairs, and greeted us with the same level of hostility he did prior.

"Where are they?" He asked, and nobody answered for a second. "Y'all are just gonna ignore me too?"

I looked to him.

"Nobody's ignoring you, Jinxx." I said, which made him glare as he looked the other way, going into the kitchen to make himself some food.

Laurel was clinging to Bella like she was going to disappear within the next second, tears rolling down her face still.

"How do we know he ain't gonna be back?" Madelyn asked. I shrugged.

"There's no telling." I whispered in a slightly irritated tone, looking down at my scratched up hands. From across from me, Stacy lay crying on the floor, clutching her stomach in her own pity.

"Stacy, are you okay?" I asked. She gently looked up to me, allowing me to see her red and puffy eyes and her wet face.

"My father. . . my son, they're dead." She muttered. I knelt down to her level, grazing my hand over her arm and keeping it there for a second.

"You're going to be okay." I said, "I know it hurts but. . ."

"You have no clue what it feels like." She hissed at me through gritted teeth. So badly I wanted to tell her I did.

So badly I wanted to tell her I lost my twin sister and my mother and my father to the walkers. So badly I wanted to tell her that my brother died of cancer two years before the breakout. So badly I wanted to tell her that my older sister killed herself two years after I was born. But I couldn't. I couldn't bring myself to.

"I don't." I lied.

She sat up, looking down at her stomach for a moment.

"But I do know that baby in there is going to come out a beautiful girl or boy. And they're going to follow your name."

A small smile hinted at Stacy's face, but she didn't dare to smile.

"Ben and Alex would be proud of you. They would want you to continue. For this child, for everyone in this group."

Stacy tilted her head, still looking down at her stomach, and smiled.

"Really?" She asked.

I nodded, "Really." I replied, "Ben was so happy when he heard that you were due soon. You can't let this break you. I know you think it's your fault but. . . you're not. . ." I sighed. "You're not going to get over this, Stacy. None of us are."

She looked to me like I was insane.

"That piece of you, that piece you love so much, it's gone. It's not coming back. That little boy you want to hold right now and promise you love him, he's dead. He was shot. He's gone forever. And I can't tell you it's going to get better because it's not my job. It's not my job to sit here and lie to you and tell you everything's going to be alright when you're going to cry yourself to sleep at night and hurt your skin because you think it's your fault. You're going to see his face, miss his smile, and blame yourself every second you get the chance to be alone, and that's not going to change." She was hysterical at this point. "But one day. . ." I said and it went silent, "you're going to wake up, and it's going to hurt a little less."

She stared at me dumbfounded as I stood up, wiping her tears while I got to my feet. Lisa stood there and tilted her head. "You okay?" She asked me while I passed her.

"I hope so." I said before I watched Luna and Mark walk in, Luna's face red and covered in tears and Mark's full of affection.

"So, you gonna tell us who this James guy is or what?" Jinxx asked.