chapter seventeen - Luna

Everyone looked to Jinxx as I walked back into the room. I took in a deep breath as I looked around the the group. "Everyone, why don't you sit down." I say to them as I look to the floor. "This is gonna take a while." I say, watching as everyone sat down on the floor.

Sighing, I sat down, looking around the the people that I now called my family and closed my eyes for a moment. It was like opening a can of worms, only the worms were snakes, scratch that, they were sharks. When I opened my eyes again I was met with looks from everyone.

Everyone was broken. It was clear in the way that they sat, the way that it played in their eyes. It was clear as day. It was clear and it hurt more than anything knowing that I caused them this pain by letting him go. To my left was Lynne, who was looking down to her lap and on my other side was Mark, who was rubbing circles on the back of my right hand with his thumb.

I met Jinxx's eyes first before I looked back down to my lap. "James Tyler Mason is his full name for starters." I say, taking in a shaky breath. "He was in a group with Caleb and I, long before we found Lynne, Bella, and Jinxx. It was just the beginning and we thought it would be over quick, but it didn't clearly." I say with a dry chuckle. "Anyway, he was the leader before we came in and people started to follow us instead of him. He lost it because we took the group from him without even trying, but he didn't show it. He just played off the mask that he'd made to get close to us." I say, my left hand shaking a bit.

I almost jumped when Lynne took my hand into her's. It was almost comforting. Almost, as this was not something that I wanted to be talking about in the slightest.

"So getting close to us is what he did. He became our second in command and soon enough was someone that I once considered lover." I say, almost gagging at the word "lover". "I say once because he got close to us and one night tried to take our. . .'relationship' to the next level and I wasn't having it. . .The next thing that I know is that Caleb's on top of him and beating him to near death. . ." I trail off, my words cracking as I say them. Mark's hand moves from my hand to my back, rubbing it gently as I taking in a deep breath. "My flannel was torn off as was my jeans and underwear. . .After Caleb nearly killing him we exiled him from the group. For the longest time I wouldn't sleep because I'd get flashbacks of him, I still do on the occasion. So there you go. That's who James Fucking Mason is, because you wanted to know so much." I say, looking to Jinxx before I stood up from my spot and walked off in the hopes of getting the memories out of my head.

"Luna?" I heard Mark's voice ask, making me look towards the doorway, to see him standing there, once more a worried look was on his face. "You okay?" He asked me and I went to go for my normal response but stopped at the quiver of my bottom lip.

"No." I say softly and he walks up to me, pulling me into a hug, his chin resting on top of my head. I took in a deep breath, relaxing at his scent.

He smelled like home, the home we knew and loved before it was taken from us. And it hurt that it reminded me of everyone that we've lost. Everyone that's died because of my stupidity.

"We're gonna be okay Dove. I promise." He says, "We're gonna kill him." He says and I close my eyes, wanting so hard to believe him.