chapter twenty-six - Lynne

"What are you thinking about?" Blake asked me after a minute of me treating her wounds in silence. I looked up to her and shook my head.

"Nothing. . ." I said, "can you feel that?" I asked, pinching her arm gently. She winced back and nodded.

"I'm guessing nobody wants me here." She said and I couldn't agree more, but out of civility I shrugged.

"You were part of the group that killed Caleb, you tried to kill me." I said, looking at her metallic orbs that landed upon my own.

"I never wanted this." She mumbled under her breath, "b-but I remember...you have a sister. How is she? Is she. . ." She stopped.

"....Thanks, for caring.." I said, not really meaning it. I placed a hand on her arm and lifted it up, wrapping my bandage around her.

It was silent for a few moments and then she sighed in exhaustion, leaning her head back for a moment before she turned to me with fear and regret licking her eyes.

"Why did you spare me that day?" She asked, making me raise an eyebrow and stop in my tracks. "You. . . I tried to kill you."

Without hesitation, I looked around and then averted my gaze, "because nobody deserves to die." I answered.

She nodded and I leaned back in the chair I was sitting in, twirling a sewing needle in my right hand to prepare her for the stitches that needed to go across her leg. "Okay..." She faced me with seriousness, "then why are you helping me today? Why haven't you guys killed me?"

I wasn't sure how to answer, maybe because I didn't know what to say myself. I was angry at this woman for taking away my friend and family but I couldn't bring myself to hate her for it.

Slowly, I took her leg and planted the needle in it, resulting in a scream to leave her lips that was quickly covered up by her hand.

Smiling, I said, "because everyone deserves a second chance."

She exchanged a look of gratitude to me as I kept putting the needle through her skin, locking it up and leaving stitches to run down the bloody opening she found herself gaped in.

"I'm sorry, Lynne. I'm so sorry for everything I did." She promised, her voice a broken whisper I've been longing to hear for a while.

I'm sorry.

"I promise you I will change, if you let me stay here. If you help me, I will do my hardest to be your friend. I'm not like Harper, I'm not like Rei. I was just doing it to survive, I swear. Please. . . please can you forgive me?" I knew damn well I could never speak on behalf of Luna or Mark or anyone else in the group, but I surely could speak for myself.

I knew Caleb wouldn't want hatred to build between us.

So slowly, I sighed.

And then I smiled, "of course." I said through the anger that covered my eyes.