chapter eighteen - Lynne

Hearing what he did to Luna. . . it was disgusting. My eyes watered and I shook my head, holding Bella close to me.

She was my only friend in this world. The only one I cared about.

"Luna. . ." I began, as she walked away, Mark pulling her into a tight hug immediately. I looked down to the ground before taking a breath and standing up, making my way to the kitchen.

"Lynne, I didn't know--." Jinxx tried to tell me, while following my lead. I felt Bella twist away from my grasp to go and find Laurel, and I just sighed while I shook my head.

"You didn't, huh?" I asked as a mumble more than words, "you didn't know he did all that shit to them? To her? Or do you more care about what he did to Caleb?" I kept my back to him, "You know what, Jinxx? You've turned into an asshole. I know you don't care about anyone other than yourself, but you need to at least try to pretend you care about everyone. You can't keep doing this! You can't keep acting like this, because we're trying so hard to help you, so hard to--." I turned around and stopped in my tracks as I saw tears rolling down Jinxx's face. "So hard to. . . to. . ." I stayed silent.

It was like that for a moment. Nothing was heard except for the distant speaking of Mark to Luna from the other room or the running from Bella and Laurel.

"Jinxx, are you...-?"

"I'm fine, just. . . keep yelling at me. Everyone's good at that. Keep yelling, keep hating me. I'm used to it."

I walked over to Jinxx, but didn't move. He looked the other way.

"I would never hate you." I said, "I. . . don't hate anyone. I never hate. . ."

"Listen, it's fine. I don't care if you hate me." He said, pushing some of his black hair back. "But, you're my only friend. I-I don't wanna lose you."

"That's not true. You have other people. Maybe you just don't realize it."

There was nothing said for a minute or two, and I continued. "And even if you don't Jinxx, I'll always be there for you. Even if you're an asshole, even if you're the one person I want to kill at the moment. I'll always be the shoulder to cry on." A small laugh escaped his lips.

"It's just, since my father, I've always--." He stopped short and sighed, "nevermind. But, thank you, Lynne. Really, it means a lot. Do you think Luna hates me?" He asked.

I sighed. "She. . . needs time. That's the only way you're ever going to mend this friendship, you know? Time, apologies, and the promise you'll do something different next time." He nodded.

"You're always the voice of reason, aren't you?" He asked.

"Voice of reason that gives everyone a headache." I corrected.

For a second, I saw a faint smile hit his lips, but he didn't speak. Gently, I pushed my own black hair back and grinned, despite the anger that was pouring from my veins.

When I remembered where I was, I coldly shook my head and glared.

Now it's time to kill the bastard known as James.