Chapter Three

"It's another win for the bad guys," Jughead was saying as the gang sat at a table outside after school had ended for the day. "No one was there. His entire staff quit. He says he's not sure how long he'll be able to keep the doors open. Maybe not even a week," Jughead explained dissapointedly.

Caia rubbed her arms, trying to keep warm in her thin jacket. She didn't really know why they were sitting outside. "It's because of what happened to my dad. People are freaking out. And to be honest, guys, I don't see myself going back anytime soon." That was fair. Why would Archie go back to the place where his dad had been shot?

Apparently, Betty didn't completely understand. "Wait, I'm sorry, am I hearing acceptance?" She quizzed pointedly. "I'm not letting one psychopath with a gun dictate what happenes to our place." Everyone was silent. "Jug, you went crazy trying to save the drive in."

"Yeah, Betty, we did. But did it do anything? No." Caia had to give the hard truth to Betty, even if it hurt. It stung her a bit too, but there was really nothing else that could be done.

Jughead nodded. "Yeah. And I can't take on anymore social issues right now. My hands are full," he added.

"With your dad. Of course," Betty agreed. "And he should be your priority." Jughead sighed. Caia figured that was the end of the discussion, but apparently Betty wasn't satisfied. "I'll take point, on helping Pop Tate," she volunteered.

"I'll help too!" Veronica chirped in. "Anything to get me away from my parents, I'm in."

Caia didn't want to be left out, so she grudgingly volunteered as well. "Count me in," she sighed.

"Another B, V, and C team up," Jughead observed. "They should really make a video game about you guys." Veronica chuckled and smiled softly. "I gotta jet. I'm off to meet my dad's court appointed joke of a lawyer at the Sheriff's station." Jughead slipped his satchel over his shoulders getting ready to leave.

"I'm gonna come with you, Jug, I gotta drop some flyers off with Sheriff Keller." Archie began to pack up his stuff as well, also getting ready to leave.

Veronica kissed her boyfriend goodbye and the two boys left the table.

*

The next day Archie stood outside of the counselors office, contemplating whether or not to go in. He hadn't been sleeping, spending the nights on watch for the black hood, willing him to stay away from his house. Veronica had advised he talk to the counselor, and he knew he should, but he really didn't want to. He was fine, right?

He had just decided that maybe he should go in when a voice from behind him interrupted his thoughts. "What's on your mind, Andrews?" Reggie took his arm off the lockers he had been leaning against and made his way over to Archie. "Girl troubles? Scabies?" Archie looked quickly back at the door, realizing he definitely would not be able to go in there now. "Why are you seeking guidance from Ms. Burble?" Reggie questioned mockingly.

Archie immediately became embarrassed at the fact that Reggie had caught him about to go into the counselor's office. He knew if Reggie had seen him actually do it, he would never hear the end of it. "I'm not," he lied, turning away and starting down the hall.

"Maybe you should," Reggie suggested. "You look like my nuts after football practice," he observed, setting his arm around Archie's shoulders. As they passed a girl in the hallway, he couldn't help but let his eyes wander her body. He tore his gaze away when he remembered who he really liked.

"Hey," Archie said, looking back towards Reggie. "Do you have anything that could keep me awake?" It was a well known fact that Reggie dealt drugs on the side. Archie knew that if anyone could help him, it would be the dark haired playboy.