Chapter Fourty-Three

"When you walk through a storm, hold your head up high. And don't be afraid of the dark."

Caia felt tears prickle at the corner of her eyes as Cheryl sang. She hadn't been that good of friends with Midge, but she felt for her family and friends. And she hated funerals.

She hated them so much.

"At the end of the storm there's a golden sky and the sweet silver song of a lark."

After fainting at the musical, Caia had woken up the next morning with only fuzzy memories of the night before. All she could remember was seeing Midge in the dressing room before the show, the feeling of Reggie's suit jacket against her arm, and the rush of adrenaline and fear that had pulsed through her body when the Black Hood's sacrificial lamb appeared on stage.

Caia hated knowing that another person in Riverdale had died, especially because she had been so close to many of Caia's peers. Moose, for example, who was at that very moment being comforted by Reggie.

Caia and Reggie stepped forward together to place two white roses with the others on top of Midge's casket. As Cheryl finished her song, they began lowering the casket into the grave.

Suddenly, Caia's mind flashed back to her mother's casket lowering. It was a lonely and sad memory, and one that she tried immediately tried to shake from her mind.

"You will never walk alone." Cheryl finished singing and motioned for the Vixens to lift their black Pom-Pom's into the air. "I also feel it is my duty to say that, like the Furies of Ancient Greece who ceaselessly pursue blood atonement when a crimes been committed, the Vixens and I vow that we will not rest until those responsible for the murder of our sister is rightly punished." Caia saw Cheryl glaring daggers into Sheriff Keller's eyes as she spoke. It was obvious who she blamed for Midge's murder.

After the service, Caia quietly slipped away from the mingling crowd. She made her way down the familiar, worn-down path she has taken so often.

Once at the spot, Caia kneeled down and sat against the oak tree next to her mother's grave. She had picked this grave site specifically because of that tree. Oak trees had always been her favorite.

Caia traced her fingers over the lettering etched into the stone. Anna Marie Sinclair. Loving wife and mother. Forever rest in paradise.

Caia blinked back tears. "I miss you mom," she whispered. "So, so much."

Caia laid a white rose down on her mother's grave, an extra left over from the buckets at the beginning of the service.

She sat there for a few minutes longer, tears slowly leaking down her face. She tried to wipe them away as they came, but as soon as she did, more appeared in their place.

Suddenly, a strong hand appeared on Caia's shoulder. She looked up, somewhat startled, to see Reggie. His expression was saddened, knowing how much pain Caia was going through.

He lowered himself to the ground, pulling Caia into his chest and letting her cry out all her tears.

*

The next day, Caia was just leaving her house when she saw Archie speed walking down the side walk. He looked oddly suspicious. Caia immediately decided to follow him, her curiosity taking over.

She trailed behind him, far enough away that Archie wouldn't notice her but close enough that she could keep track of his movements. After a few minutes of walking, they seemed to be in the middle of nowhere. Then, Archie turned a corner to a lone house situated in between some trees. The police tape immediately notified Caia of who's house this was.