Chapter Twelve

"You're joining the serpents?" Caia asked. She was standing in Jughead's RV, wearing a simple black dress. She had been headed to the open house when Jughead had called her to come over.

Jug nodded. "I figured you'd probably want to know."

Caia looked toward the ceeling, collecting her thoughts. "Okay, whatever. Can you tell me why at least?"

"I have to keep the peace. Without my dad around, everything's gone to hell," he explained.

"Okay, but won't joining them do the exact opposite? Those bulldogs find out your a serpent and we're dead where we stand." Caia fiddled with the bracelet around her wrist, a nervous habit she had picked up.

Jughead shook his head. "They won't listen to me if I'm half a serpent. I told you that." His eyes flicked to the small digital clock on the side table. "I better get going. We're supposed to meet up soon. Are you sure you don't want to come?"

Caia nodded. "Yeah. I promised Veronica I'd be there tonight."

Jughead opened the door, rushing out of the RV. Caia followed close behind. Jughead stopped abruptly, causing her to almost fall into him. A look to the side showed her that the cause of Jughead's stop was Archie, who was standing at the bottom of the steps.

"Archie," he greeted surprised.

"We gotta talk, Jug," Archie stted, eyeing the girl standing behind Jughead. He was wondering what she was doing there, but didn't mention it.

"Uhh," Jughead began, hurrying down the steps. "Now's really not a good time," he informed, looking around Archie nervously. It occurred to Caia that the serpents were coming to Jugehad's trailer and he didn't want Archie to see them. "Okay, you need to leave. Okay?" Jughead put his hands on Archie's shoulders, trying to get his point across. "You gotta go, I'm serious."

"Why? What's going on?" Archie questioned.

Suddenly, the group of Southside Serpents came around the corner of the RV. "What the hell do we have here?" Sweet Pea inquired, taking immediate notice of Archie

"Oh god, here we go," Caia muttered. She rubbed her temple. She would have never come if she knew that this was going to happen.

Jughead hurried over to the gang members. "He's just leaving, alright?" he explained, trying to stop the inevitable show down.

"Wait, you're friends with these thugs?" Archie asked. The disapproval and disgust was evident in his voice.

Jughead turned to Archie. "It's not what you think," he stated lowly.

An idea seemed to take form in Archie's head. "Are you joining the serpents?"

Caia had made her way to the bottom of the steps. She now leaned against the RV wall, her arms crossed in front of her, observing the scene unfold.

"If he survives," Sweet Pea stated. "And go ahead and call us thugs one more time." Sweet Pea started to charge at Archie but was stiff armed by Jug.

"Jughead, these are the guys who attacked me? Who attacked Reggie and Veronica and Dilton, your friends!" Caia scoffed at the Dilton and Veronica one. It was obvious Dilton had stabbed himself and Veronica hadn't gotten a scratch on her. Hell, she hadn't even gotten wet!

"Wait, is that why you're here?" Jughead asked harshly. "To warn me?"

"No," Archie replied. "I came here to tell you to stay away from Betty. She doesn't want to see you anymore." This statement got Caia up off the wall. What?

Jughead couldn't see to believe it either. He just stood wide eyed, starring at Archie. "Screw you! I just saw Betty yesterday. Sh-" he paused, deep in thought. "She was fine."