Chapter Fourty-Seven

Malachai led Caia to a small car and shoved her into the backseat, where another Ghoulie was waiting. "To make sure you don't get any ideas," he explained.

He jumped in the front seat, pressing the lock button, taking even more precautions to make sure Caia wouldn't escape.

Malachai drove Caia to a remote location in the woods. He opened the back door and grabbed Caia's arm, forcing her up out of her seat. He roughly led her to a couch next to a fire, shoving her down. The other Ghoulie threw him a piece of rope and Malachai used it to bind Caia's wrists together. He made sure to pull the rope extra tightly just to make it more uncomfortable.

"Is this really necessary?" Caia questioned, referring to the rope.

Malachai smiled. "Of course. Anything for you, Sweet cheeks." He disappeared into the darkness behind the couch. Caia realized he hadn't gone far and knew it would be a bad idea to try to run.

Caia sat in silence for a few minutes before she heard the crunching of leaves. She looked up to be face to face with Penny Peabody. She wrinkled her nose. "Of course," she muttered snarkily. "Penny Peabody. I should have known you were up to this."

Penny smiled as she walked towards the girl. "It was my idea, true," she agreed. "But I didn't say who to take. That was all Malachai." She used her pointer finger to force Caia's chin up so she was looking her in the face. "I'm happy with who he chose, though. I have a bone to pick with you."

Caia snarled. "Oh yeah? And what's that."

Penny crossed her arms, pacing away as she spoke. "You led the Serpents to me, let them take my tattoo." She whipped around. "And after we had graciously given you all that money, too." She smirked, sitting down in a lawn chair on the other side of the fire. "And now, because of that, you and your friends will pay."

She flicked out her phone. Caia saw her dial a number and then press it to her ear. Caia could only hear one side of the conversation, but she got the gist of it.

"Hello, lover boy. It's your old gal pal." Caia rolled her eyes. Of course she would have called Jughead. "Oh I heard," Penny was saying. "Riverdale burning to the ground. Tragic. How 'bout we meet up and talk about it, hmm? Your old hang out by the docks?" Penny left space for an answer and her partly joking tone turned deadly serious. "Cause if you don't I'll start carving up your girlfriend's face."

Caia's stomach dropped. Oh no. Penny laughed at something Jughead had said. "Oh please, ponytails a snooze," she exclaimed. "No, I mean your- your Southside Smurfette. What do you think I should start with?" Penny inquired, bringing out her knife.

"Tell her to go to hell, Jughead!" Caia yelled, fed up with the woman.

Penny didn't like that. "Maybe her tounge, hm?" She suggested. "Come now, and alone. It'll just be me and curly here."

With that, Penny brought the phone from her ear and ended the call.

"So," she began, turning her head to Caia. "Are you excited?"

A few minutes later, Caia heard crunching in the leaves once again. She looked up to see Jughead and his leather jacket appear in the yellow light of the fire. She cursed when she realized that he really had come alone.

"Hiya, Jones," Penny greeted, twirling her knife around in her lap.

Jughead ignored her and looked Caia over. There were no visible injuries, but he wasn't entirely sure. "Caia," he stated, grabbing her attention. "Are you okay?"

Caia looked up at him, remembering Malachai and the other Ghoulies there. "Jughead, she's not alone," she warned through clenched teeth.

As if one cue, the crashing on falling trash cans penetrated the air. Jughead flicked out his knife blade. Malachai walked out of the shadows, grinning madly as he swung his nail bat. "Surprise," he called.