Chapter Fourty-Two

"What do you mean Cheryl can't play Carrie?" Caia demanded. "I mean, I was mad we had to change the key for her songs at first, but now we're invested in her. She knows the whole show!" She exclaimed.

Kevin furrowed his eyebrows at her. "Chill, Caia. I'm sure one of the ensemble members will be more than willing to take over for her." He cocked his head at her. "But are you okay?" He questioned, redirecting the conversation.

Caia flopped down in a chair. "I don't know, Kevin." She blew her hair out of her face. "I guess I'm just stressed or something."

Kevin sat next to his friend. "Are you sure you want to continue doing this?" He asked. "I don't want this to push you too far."

Caia swatted her hand through the air. "I'll be fine, Kev. I just need a little break," she explained. "Just leave me alone for a while, and I'll be okay."

Kevin slowly nodded. He stood up, gathered his stuff from where it was on the piano. "I'm here if you need anything," he offered. Caia nodded at him and Kevin left the choir room, shutting the door behind him.

Caia sat for a moment before opening her script. It just so happened she opened right to the song Carrie sung right before she left for the prom. It was one of her favorite parts of the whole show.

As she read over the music, and idea blossomed in her head. Cheryl was out, so that meant the part of Carrie was open. It was at that moment Caia realized that maybe she had been so frustrated and anxious lately because she was angry at herself for not trying out for the musical.

She contemplated. What if she would try out for Carrie? It occurred to her that she would probably really enjoy doing it. If only she didn't get so nervous before getting on stage.

Cautiously, Caia began to plunk out the beginning notes for the accompaniment for 'Why Not Me.'

🎶 If I can make it down the stairs, if I can make it to the door. If I can open it and say 'oh Kevin, hi!' 🎶

She imagined herself mounting the stage stairs to try out, nervous but determined.

🎶 Maybe he won't even notice that I'm staring at the floor, but if other girls can do this why can't I?

If I can keep my knees from buckling, if I can keep my pulse in check, then I will never give the world a chance to see. That underneath the smile I'm smiling, I'm so totally a wreck.

But if others girls get through this, why not me? 🎶

Now Caia imagined herself singing out with pride, and people standing up and clapping for her even before the song ended. She imagined getting the part, and a small smile creased her face. Caia had gotten up from the piano and was now twirling around the choir room as she sang.

🎶 Why not me? Why not me? 🎶

Suddenly, Caia stopped twirling, determined about what she was going to do. She grabbed her script off the piano, and pushed out of the door, set on her path to the auditorium.

🎶 I will talk above a whisper, I'm gonna walk in three inch heels. I'm gonna fight the urge to turn around and flee. And then I will feel the magic I'm told anyone can feel. Where the stars align and life is filled with possibility.

And if everyone feels that way then why-🎶

She burst through the doors, immediately cut off by the sight on the stage.

The cast was sitting in a circle, and Kevin was talking. "In the meantime, Cheryl's understudy will assume the role." He paused as everyone leaned forward to see who the new Carrie would be. "Midge Klump."