Chapter Eighteen

"Well, well, well, Caia Sinclair," the voice on the other end graveled. "You picked up."

Caia furrowed her brows at the sound of the voice. "Malachai?"

*

"You remembered my name," Malachai replied. "I'm honored."

Caia scoffed. "Don't feel too high and mighty. I only remember it because of how much of an ass you were."

Malachai chuckled. "Aww, I missed your sass."

"You only met me two times, douchebag."

"You wound me, Serpent. Anyway, I have a proposition for you." Malachai stated.

"What?" Caia questioned, unimpressed.

"We need to talk," he explained. "And I need you to come to the jail so we can."

Caia scoffed. "Like I would ever come to talk to you."

"Watch yourself," Malachai growled. "I let it slide the first few times, but that was it."

Caia rolled her eyes. "Whatever, Malachai. I'm not afraid of you."

"Maybe you should be, girl," he stated lowly. "Visting hours are till seven. Be here," he commanded. "Oh, and come alone," he added, the line going dead immediately after he finished.

Caia looked around her room. She didn't want to go. It seemed pointless. However, she knew what could happen if she didn't.

God. The things she did.

*

Soon, Caia found herself sitting on the open side of the glass across from Malachai. They stood and starred at each other for a few moments before Malachai grabbed the phone before him, signaling Caia to do the same.

"Welcome, Sinclair," he greeted.

Caia didn't bother with pleasantries. "What do you want?" She questioned. "And it better be good because I did not just come here for no reason."

Malachai looked around him for any guards, not wanting them to over hear what he was going to say next. "I have a little- job I want you to do for me," he stated.

Caia's look did not change. "What kind of job?" She depanned.

Malachai bit his lip. "Just a little- pick up and delivery," the Ghoulie explained. Caia immediately knew he was referring to drugs. This was not something she wanted to be mixed up in.

She shook her head. "No. No way."

Malachai sighed. "You know, Caia, that little call your boyfriend made to the police during the drag race made me very angry." Caia snarled at him.

"He's not my boyfriend," she spat. "He has a girlfriend and my boyfriend goes to Riverdale."

Malachai raised his eyebrows. "So there is a boy?" Caia refused to reply. "Anyway, back to the original point. Your boys broke their part of the deal. That is unacceptable. If you do this job, I might have some mercy of those serpents of yours when it comes time for revenge."

"It's still a no. You won't leave us alone no matter what I do."

Malachai chuckled. "Smart girl. I really hoped you'd buy that line, but I guess I should have known better." He leaned down to rest his head on his hand. "How about if you do this job, we'll pay you. Let's say- $1,920?"

Caia's face went white. That was the exact amount she needed to pay odd the debts to her house. "How- how did you know that?" She stuttered.

Malachai smirked and leaned back in his chair. "I have my sources," he explained. "I also know those bruises on your arms are from your dad, and not clumsiness." Caia glanced down and covered her arms instinctively. How the hell had he noticed that? "It's okay," Malachai continued. "I won't tell. That is, unless you don't take this deal."