Chapter 2: Ashore

"Zombies?" she repeated. She held herself still for a moment before she burst out laughing. "How ambitious of you."

"Can you imagine, a whole town filled with flesh-eating monsters?" Harry said, wiggling his hands at her face. She laughed and slapped his hands away.

"They're not monsters. They're people." The stranger said defensively.

"I've heard of them...Zombies trying to integrate into regular, boring, nonmagic human culture. They're morons. Who wants to be like those prissy and repetitive, second rate fools?"

"Apparently all of them, otherwise they would have seen that my plan was the right thing to do."

"And now here you are at the Isle of the lost....the forgotten...the scum of the world."

He scowled, "I'm not planning on staying for long."

She quirked an eyebrow, "No? How are you planning on getting out?"

The man looked away, "There's always a way."

Uma pressed her lips together, no longer interested in the conversation, "Let me know when you find out."

"UMA THIS PLATE ISN'T GOING TO SERVE ITSELF!!"

Uma curled her fist at her side and pushed back her chair to stand.

The stranger looked up at her in surprise. "Uma? You're the—"

"Ursula's daughter, yes." She answered before he finished speaking.

"Yes, but you're also one of the only people to get out of this isle by yourself."

"That little loophole is gone, they've closed every single spot in the barrier to make sure we don't get out."

He looked her over, sizing her up. Uma was used to it and she never had a problem with it. It just meant proving them wrong.

"I never noticed how young you were....I'm not living like this. I'm gonna find a way out if it kills me."

"Flotsam and Jetsam will have quite the feast when you do." Harry grinned, tapping his hook on the stranger's cheek again. The stranger moved his head away, disgusted.

"It might be easier if I had some help." The man said. Uma rolled her eyes.

"Like I said, when you find the way out let us know." She threw out, walking away to get his food.

...

Her hands rested firmly on the railing of her ship, the slight waves crashing into the side of the ship below her as she looked out at the horizon. Her fingers curled into the wood. Auradon mocked her with its bright colors and sunshine-y weather. The good little kids enjoying their precious lives while they suffered on an isle that only brought misery and pain to people. 

Her people.

The boy King wanted to help make a difference, the only difference she saw was that he was removing only those that he decided were worthy of living in his little country. He was no one to her, not her king, certainly not her friend. He was no one to decide who belonged or not.

"Hey, Uma? Uma? Uma? Uuuuma?"

Uma sent a cold glare at the person that bothered her from her thoughts.

Gil waved at her bearing a bright smile, "Hey, hi. So are we gonna take the ship out around the isle or no? Because I wanted to—"

"You have a second to take a step away from me before I shove you over this railing, Gil."

Gil darted back, his childlike grin faltering for a moment.

"Alright. If you don't need me then I'm gonna go take a swim."

She waved a hand dismissively at him. Something moved in the corner of her eye and her hand shot out. She wasn't going to tell him twice. Her fist was caught by Harry's larger hand.

"Why are we wasting time on this ship when we have other things to do?"

Uma gave him a look and Harry gently let her hand go. "We can collect our little protection tax some other time."

Harry smirked, "Do you even have a plan to get back at those little saints or are we just waiting for the goodly King to come back to change our ways?"

"We have time to plan." She told him.

He grinned slowly, his face coming close to hers, "So, in other words, you got nothing?"

She grinned back at him, plucking the hook right out of his hand, he reached for it but she held it back. Harry's grin never fell from his face as he took a step back, holding his hands up.

Uma twirled the hook around her finger, "There's a magical barrier surrounding the Isle, a barrier that can only be opened by those on Auradon. Those from Auradon come to visit every two weeks searching and finding the poorest of children to give them an opportunity to become more than the scum that they've always been. Every two weeks a limo arrives at eight a.m on the dot. By ten in the morning, they are back at the limo with a narrower list of children. One man stays in the car with another man as a backup, two more go about the island and do their own thing. The question for you my dearest, Harry, is how do we take the car and drive to Auradon without getting caught immediately? Because this time we can't rely on a spell-book, and my locket only works on one person at a time."

Harry looked at her intently, "So you haven't given up then."

"I want to hold your head underwater for thinking I have."

His nose twitched with a malicious grin, "As long as you're there to revive me, go ahead. I might enjoy it."

She chuckled, pressing his hook into his chest, his fingers brushed against hers, lingering there, as he took it back.

"Uh, hey guys?"

She took in a deep breath, holding herself back from actually going through with her threat and tossing Gil into the water, "What is it now, Gil?"

He was in his undershirt and shorts, drenched completely, "I think you might want to see this."

"What is it?" Harry asked, twisting his entire body to look at Gil.

"I think something—or someone, washed up on shore."

Uma fixed her hat and followed him, Harry at her side as always.