Chapter 29: Not Giving Up

"I told you how much this meant to me...and you had it this entire time?"

Her head was killing her. Uma was sure she had a concussion.

"What else have you been lying about?"

The words were ringing in her ear in direct competition of her headache. Uma leaned her head onto the flowing wall of light. Her new room for the time being. She could have made a bit more effort to get away, but honestly, the pain at her head wouldn't allow her to do anything, besides she didn't have one boot and her balance wasn't as steady as she needed it to be.

Without thinking she reached up to touch her head, only to find the bandage that was recently put there. At least she was patched up, she wouldn't do the same for her own prisoners.

"You're lucky we have no authorization with you. Straight to the dungeon if it were up to me, stealing from others." The blonde guard shook his head, messing with a tablet in front of him.

The guards at DunBroch had, much to Uma's misfortune, taken a routine perimeter check around the castle and of course, it was after Melody had walked away, leaving her with only the Witch who told the guards her version of the truth.

 Which was how Uma ended up in a magical jail cell at DunBroch castle. 

She was guilty after all.

 She had attacked the old hag and she had stolen from Melody; the Witch hadn't lied.

She smacked her lips together and stretched her arms up. The movement didn't agree with her head and Uma scrunched her entire face. A chair scraped on the floor and Uma watched as the guard dug out something from a cabinet along the back wall. He picked something up and made his way over to her. His hand freely moved into the magic wall where he dropped two pills beside her.

"Should help immensely for the pain."

Uma gave him a thumbs up and pushed the pills to the side.

He looked offended. "I'm not trying to poison you. What do you take me for?"

Uma shrugged.

"Still not speaking are you?" He shook his head and sighed. "suit yourself, but silence is only more incriminating."

Which is why that hag took my voice, she thought bitterly.

"The Captain should be back soon with the King and Queen, and then we'll know when you're transferred back to Auradon."

She just needed to regain her energy, but for now, she was biding her time. But one thing was for sure; she was not going to let them send her back to the Isle.

...

"It's not our decision."

It never was anyone's decision, it never was anyone's problem. It made no difference to Uma anymore whether it was their decision or not. No one ever wanted to make it their decision, that's how the Isle came to be. They didn't have to decide what punishment each Villain or henchmen had; it was easier to clump them all together and dump them somewhere else. Things never changed.

Queen Elinor and her somber look didn't convince Uma, neither did the King's gloomy face.

"What you did doesn't change the fact that you saved my son."

"No, it doesn't." The King's agreed loudly, making the Queen give him a look.

"I don't believe the rumors about your role in making my son forget who he was, or the other people for that matter. I see no reason you would do that only to save him."