Chapter 8: Block In The Road

She felt it when she crossed the barrier, just like the first time. The energy that swam through her body; pulsing; tender; and raw. Uma had to grab the dashboard to stop herself from feeling dizzy. Her necklace humming with life around her neck.

Uma took it in her fingers and the necklace began to glow. She carefully moved the sword away from the driver's neck. His hand tried to take it away but it was already too late, he glanced at the necklace and his eyes were beginning to mist over.

"Pay attention to the road." She said, tapping him on the cheek. He looked in front of him, his eyes almost unblinking as he drove across the magical road. Uma sat back but she wasn't able to relax. She couldn't. Not until she was safely across and her feet were on the ground. She took a deep breath and drummed her fingers on her knee as he drove.

"Stop." She told him once they were past the shore and on Auradon road. He did as he was told letting the car stop with a screech. She cursed, glad that no one was around to see the car jerk in the middle of the road. Uma opened the door, the bright colors of the trees along the road the first thing to greet her. She crouched to look through the window.

"Go back to Isle. You never left the spot you were supposed to wait in and you never met, or saw me." She was careful with her words, knowing that if she didn't tell him he would automatically go back and tell someone. The driver nodded slowly and put the car in reverse, turning around. She watched from the side of the road as the car traveled back across the bridge. She had a shoulder bag with her with a couple items, including a small telescope that she took out to see when he came back to stop. Waiting exactly where he had been before. With one hand holding the telescope she lifted the other and held the necklace.

"I release you." She whispered and the necklace glowed for a few seconds before dimming down back to its normal color. 

She turned back to the road she had taken once before and grinned.

"Auradon, how nice to see you."

                                                                            ...

The last time she'd been there she had the upper hand. No one knew who she was nor where she was from.

Now if anyone were to see her they'd easily able to say her name...and along with her name they would alert every person within an earshot that she was there and have her sent back to the Isle before she even made it two steps into Auradon Prep.

The school's castle loomed in the near distance, mocking her. She felt compelled to go there and just walk in, but patience was a virtue—not hers, unfortunately—but it was what had to be done. She had no way of knowing when her next shot to Ben was and she wouldn't waste the opportunity she had today. With her eyes fixated on the castle, she moved to the west, where a forest of lush green trees gave her all the cover she needed to hide in. The bird chirped their songs, branches shook with movement.

It was like walking straight into a fairytale. So bright and full of life.

It was awful.

Uma closed her eyes with a frown, listening intently to the buzz of the forest. There it was, the trickle of water running down a stream somewhere nearby. She followed her ears, through thick brush and muddy ground for a long time until she found herself in front of a wide river, clean and clear. She rummaged through her bag for the stolen items. Uma removed her hat and began her transformation.

Two hours later Uma found herself sitting on the side of a tree, the water trickling next to her. Her hair fell down her shoulders, damp and cold. Now brown and wavy. Her clothes were plain, there was nothing special about a pair of jeans and a blue blouse. Everything about her new appearance screamed boring.