Chapter 18: Out

Uma tilted her head to the side. "You can touch him all you want but that isn't going to wake him up." Uma strolled right over and leaned down to slap her hand across the man's face.

"Uma!" Melody said, glaring at her. The man below gasped and opened his eyes making Melody fall back in surprise.

"Told you," Uma said.

The man blinked slowly, looking between them and the room. "Who—what...where...am I?"

"No..." Melody gasped, covering her mouth with her hand.

"Well isn't this something?" Uma chuckled, crossing her arms.

Melody quickly put her arms out when the man attempted to sit up but only managed to fall back. Melody laid him back on the floor gently, quickly taking out her phone. When Uma saw it her eyes slightly widened but she didn't stop her, not yet at least. She let Melody make her call and even let her speak as she informed whoever was on the other line that a man was on the floor. It wasn't until she was finished that Uma spoke.

"You got help for him. Now we have to go."

Melody looked at her in alarm. "What are you talking about, we can't leave him?"

"I sure as hell can. I don't intend to stay and get caught for something I had nothing to do with. This is all you. Besides you already called for help."

"We can't just leave him. We don't know if he hurt his head when he fell or not?"

"We don't know, but if you stay that's not how it's going to appear. You don't know this guy, so it's questionable as to why you're here in the first place."

"I'll tell them the truth. I'll tell them why I came, it's not that hard, Uma."

"And me being here with you won't cause any alarm right? No way I'm risking getting caught at all..." She paused at the worried look Melody had on her face...all for a man they didn't know? "but...I don't think it would hurt to stay just for a while more, just so you won't freak out. I'll keep an eye out. The first sign I see of someone coming I am out of here, with or without you. I'm not getting caught."

"That's fine." She said gratefully, tending to the man. Uma walked past them to the sliding door that led to the back of the house. She immediately checked for the quickest way out of the area and when she was satisfied that there would be no trouble leaving she went back inside only glancing at Melody once, before leaving the kitchen area back to the man's living room. She stood near the window, just looking out. When a few minutes passed by and a black car and an ambulance was seen from a distance Uma sped back into the kitchen.

"It's time to go." Uma pulled on Melody's arm to make her move. Melody reluctantly scrambled up from where she was sitting.

"You didn't leave anything behind, did you?" Melody asked her as they slid the back door open and slipped outside. Uma raised an eyebrow at the stupidity of the question.

Melody winced, "Right. Probably not."

She brushed her off, "Move it, Melody."

Uma climbed over the wooden fence with only a little trouble from her dress. She reached to help Melody out but Melody climbed over with ease.

They landed in what Uma assumed was a small alleyway, though it hardly looked like one.

"If we go left we can round the corner and get back to the car," Melody said distractedly.

Uma glanced at her to find her looking back over the fence. She had to yank her arm again to make her move.

...