Chapter 19: Where to run

"This isn't in the slightest bit hilarious Uma!" Melody quickly scolded, running her hands through her hair. Uma, however, was having the time of her life after reading the headline that appeared as a notification on Melody's phone.

"It is, without a doubt, a little more than hilarious—I've kidnapped you now!" She couldn't finish her sentence without bursting out with more laughter.

 "They aren't wrong to think that I did kidnap you, now are they?"

"That still doesn't make this any funny. Oh my god, I have to call my mom back now." Melody rubbed her face as her phone kept buzzing with messages.

"They have a picture of you pulling on my arm!" She gasped turning the phone so Uma could see.

Uma's smile continued to widen. "Wow, imagine if they take a picture of us holding hands. It would be a completely different headline."

Melody wrinkled her nose and shoved her shoulder. "We're family."

"When you live on the isle long enough everything is possible."

Melody looked at her slightly hesitant. "...Are you serious?"

Uma snorted and shook her head. "You wish, no, we're not animals...well, not entirely."

Melody shook her head, thrumming her fingers on the phone and putting it over her ear. Uma sighed, grinning madly as she leaned the seat back to relax.

"—I'm fine, seriously, it's not true." Melody immediately explained into the phone. Uma ignored Melody and focused on breathing in and out. A minute later a nudge against her shoulder made her come back to reality.

"What?" She growled, having been comfortable where she was.

"How do you feel about Cinderella?"

"Don't ask me veiled questions. Just tell me whatever it is you have to tell me."

Melody took a deep breath. "We can't go back to my house. There's going to be people waiting to arrest you. Cinderella is the only person I trust that won't say anything if you show up."

Uma wasn't completely sold on that. "Isn't she besties with Fairy God Mother?"

"You'll find that nearly every single king or queen, prince or princess, is besties with Fairy Godmother in some way...even then, Cinderella has the kindest heart out of anyone I know. She's someone I can trust with my life and with anything."

"You trust someone with a son that's a complete narcissistic idiot?"

"You've met Chad?"

"Unfortunately." Though the whole cheeseburger thing wasn't any bad at all.

"Chad is certainly...something else from his parents."

"You're putting it mildly."

"But you and I know that judging the children for who their parents are is completely unfair."

"There's a big difference. You were all raised with loving parents, parents, who teach you to be the goody two shoes that you are. Most of us at the isle didn't get that chance."

"Our parents can teach us many things, but it doesn't mean we have to follow them all. Sometimes parents can be wrong, sometimes right, but it always comes down to us. It's our decision whether or not to follow what our parents teach."

"That sounds boring. I'll just do what I want to do. It's not like my mother taught me anything more than how to give up."

"Well then make the best of your life..." Melody's hand hovered in the air for a moment, Uma prepared to slap it away but there was no need. Melody dropped it by herself. "So...you don't mind that we're going to Cinderella's?"