Chapter 14: Daughter's Of The Sea

Uma was back on the shoreline, the Isle in view; so dark and grey. She reached down and removed her boots, wanting to feel how different the sand in Auradon was compared to the trash-ridden sand at the Isle.

She wriggled her toes in the fine and warm sand and went for one of her boots, picking out Melody's necklace she had safely tied into the laces on the inside. She opened it and like before the music played and the view of Atlantica, full of color and life, appeared before her. A gentle breeze blew against her skin and Uma pushed the hair in her face behind her ear.

"What would happen if I were to just show up in Atlantica?" She wondered to herself, touching the smooth back of the necklace.

She continued watching the images shift in front of her, merpeople swimming across every so often and the plant life flowing to the movement of the water. She shut it quickly.

She would never be welcome there and she didn't want to be.

Uma put it away, making sure that it wasn't visible. She lay on her back to feel the sun—the real sun—not covered by clouds or grey, on her skin. She stayed there for a while, without a hint of worry, without a care for who could see her, and without a thought.

It was only Uma and the sound of the sea.

...

"It's funny that I find you near the sea, the same way you found me. Nice hair color by the way."

The sudden voice made Uma sit up, poising herself for an attack she knew would not come.

"It's beautiful here isn't it." Melody stood by her, her hands on her hips as she stared out into the water lit by the setting sun.

Uma brought her boots closer to her as she settled back. Noticing the small bandages all along Melody's arms, where she had cut herself from escaping through the window.

"I don't blame you, I offered to help you out and you got out. You didn't have to have him hit me so hard though, I would have willingly pretended to pass out. I would have even distracted the driver so you could lay in the back seat if you would have just asked me."

"I don't need favors from you, Melody."

"And I don't need any head wounds from you, Uma." Melody shot back angrily. 

After a moment Melody sighed and sat down beside her. 

"I want to know from you, do you have something to do with these people that have lost their memories?"

Uma glanced over at her with a slight grin, "Do you think I had something to do with it?"

"That's just it Uma, I don't know. I don't know you because I haven't had more than a few conversations with you. But I don't think you did it. I think that you didn't have anything to do with it because you don't seem to be an evil person, a little misguided maybe, but not evil."

"And if I tell you that I did do this to these people. What would you call me then?"

"A liar."

Uma chuckled, "You just said you don't know me, how could you possibly know that?"

"I feel it, call me stupid or superstitious, or whatever you'd like but I don't think this is you."

Uma raised an eyebrow, "You have that much faith in me?"

Melody shrugged it off. "If your family doesn't have your back who does?"

Uma was speechless for a moment before she said, "No one."