Chapter 32: Back Again

She woke up in a moving car with her head resting on some sort of fabric. Uma heard voices speaking but wasn't able to focus on them, it was easier to let herself close her eyes.

...

She was being moved, she felt the arms. Her head was jostled and it brought pain. Pain was easy to understand and at the moment it was the only thing she understood.

...

The air smelled strange. It smelled clean, like a table when she sanitized it after someone had a bloody fight in her mother's restaurant, though that hardly happened since she grew up; unless it was her doing. Something dull was steadily beeping in the background.

Her eyes opened slowly, the room was too bright and she didn't like it. She blinked, moving her head to figure out where she was. Everything was drowning in white and machines that Uma knew were far more advanced than anything she had ever seen in her life.

She looked down at her arm hooked up to a few wires.

"Do you remember what happened?" The warm voice sounded familiar to Uma. She turned her head to the direction it came from and was met with the sight of Melody, standing up from a chair that had a blanket strewn next to it. She was more surprised by seeing Mal, her arms crossed as she watched her from a chair.

"Don't I feel cared for..." She tried to say, forgetting for a moment that her voice was gone.

"You forgot that she couldn't say a word, Melody," Mal spoke up, grabbing something from underneath her chair and tossing it to Melody.

"Oh right," Melody muttered, catching it and bringing it over to her. "Drink this Uma."

Uma stared at the little vial, its clear liquid swirling inside.

"It's not the poison you think it is," Mal said with a roll of her eyes.

Melody looked at Uma, "It's for your voice. So you can bring it back."

"Your mom must be laughing at the irony right now," Mal said to Melody.

"My mom wouldn't laugh at this. She'd be worried." Melody said.

"Right. Sorry. I keep forgetting that not everyone's mother is sadistic."

"I promise it's nothing bad Uma," Melody said, gently pressing the vial into her hand.

Uma felt lost, disoriented, she remembered knocking out the Witch and then Mal was there.

She, for some mad reason, stopped Mal from biting into the scone that would have made her forget Uma and everything else for that matter. Mal didn't take it so kindly and threw her down.

Now she was...wherever she was. Was she on Auradon land now?

"I didn't tamper with it if that's what you think." Mal said after a moment of silence, "It's not fun when you can't speak so..." She waved her on.

But Uma still wasn't sure what was going on, so she looked between both of them. Was Melody still angry at her?

"They wanted to have people that you knew here when you woke up." Melody started to explain.

"Couldn't bring in anyone else, sorry," Mal commented unapologetically.

Uma looked at Mal briefly before turning back to Melody with a raised eyebrow, gesturing to Mal with her free hand.

"You have to admit that you do know her longer than anyone else here."

"And who better to find out if you remember everything than me?" Mal said with a sly grin.