Chapter 27: Witch Witches Deserts and Woodwork

The woman was old; there was no doubt about that. Her hair a white mess in a half bun, her face wrinkled like tiny ripples in the ocean.

Uma was certain that she was the Witch Merida had been talking about.

Hamish who looked in despair changed his face rapidly when he caught sight of C.J.

"I'm trying to help my brother, but she won't help." He said to her.

"As much as I'd like to help. There are limits to my power. You and your family personally know this."

Hamish's jaw was firmly shut and he tilted his head, his foot tapping the ground as if he was in a hurry to go. The Witch was the one who left, her tiny legs scurrying off like the wind.

"I'm surprised you're not sleeping." He said to Uma, "I found Melody crashed outside my brother's room. I had to carry her to a room."

"You're the sweetest man I have ever met." C.J gushed, wrapping her arms behinds his shoulder. Hamish smiled slightly and placed a hand over hers.

"I went to sleep for a little bit," Uma said with a shrug.

"Does everyone from the isle only sleep for a little bit?" Hamish asked, turning to C.J with a knowing smile.

"Pretty much," C.J answered.

"Probably," Uma said nearly at the same time.

Hamish shook his head.

...

Uma was fully awake when the sun rose outside the window. Her fingers still on the pages of the grey book as she flipped through it. She slept for a couple more hours, give or take a few minutes. She had been busy figuring out the charms within the book. It came natural to her to understand them. Charms and enchantments. Potions and their effects.

She'd never known how quick of a reader she was. Though spells should, in theory, make her sluggish, the excitement it gave her to learn them kept her awake.

With just a few words Uma made the book in front of her float, with a simple sentence she had made a ball of light appear. With a wave of her fingers, she had changed the tip of her hair into its original blue. The reading took longer than learning the spell. It came easy.

She smiled to herself.

A couple of knocks came at the door followed by Melody's voice, "Hey, are you up?"

Uma closed the book and set it aside. "I am."

"Coming in."

"Can't stop you."

Melody's head appeared through a crack in the door. "Good morning cuz, are you hungry because I honestly am."

Melody didn't look as awake as her voice sounded.

Uma lifted her shoulders lightly, "I guess I could go for some breakfast."

"Good, because I didn't want to poke around in the kitchen myself."

Uma rolled her feet off the bed and started lacing up her boots, "So now if you're caught you can just put the blame on the villain kid."

Melody rolled her eyes and pushed the door wide open.

"Just get up."

"People telling me what to do makes me want to do the exact opposite, fishtail." She finished putting on her boots and stood.

"Don't call me that, you undersized octopus." Melody chided with a smile, gently smacking her shoulder.

Uma couldn't help the slight grin on her face. "Whatever, oversized sunfish."